Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my starter on my Dak has taken a Sh*t. :cussing: I knew it was commin, but it happened at a really crappy time.
Anywho, yesterday at lunch I started takin it off (I work at Napa) and it took me the full hour to just get the thing free from the whole 2 mounting bolts it's got. I also managed to get the Small wire from it. I still need to remove the big terminal, and then somehow get it OUT of the truck. It's no longer mounted to the truck itself, but how the F*CK do you get it out from it's "home" there appears to be about 1/2" to little room to get it all out! I remember doing it on my last Dakota was a flaming PITA, but it had headers and 2.5" Y pipe so I figured that had alot to do with it. I was WRONG

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK, I've never attempted this because I've got 4wd, and that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Here's what the Haynes book says, for better or worse (V6 and V8):

>Disconnect the steering shaft coupling from the steering gear and position the shaft out of the way.

>Remove the mounting fasteners (those 2 bolts you mentioned)

>Move the starter FORWARD and lift UP and out.

The illustration looks like you have to clear some transmission cooler lines.

Haynes can be a pain, but sometimes their instructions help.

Keep us posted on progress.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrm, never thought to take it out the top. I'll have to look into that!

:clap2: Thanks for the speedy reply :clap2:

God only knows how angry I will be if I am gettin a ride home again tomorrow!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just curious, does the line about disconnecting the steering shaft make sense? It seemed like overkill to me. I think that with 4x4 you have to remove the front driveshaft, that's what scared me off.

Let me know how it goes. If you start throwing wrenches--avoid windows! :jester:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got back under it today... I could only see one bolt on the steering shaft, which I removed, and nothing happened!...

I was able with some colorful language to get the starter out the bottom (Thank GOD).

I figured out the trick! You need a regular 5/8" deep, and 5/8" swivel socket, and 2.5 feet worth of extensions (Plus metrics for cable connections more on this later) The Swivel socket is not nessicary, but makes removal of the lower bolt even easier. Then get all the extensions together, and put the socket on the top bolt, using this long of an extension allows you to get the ratchet up by the sway bar, where there is PLENTY of room for a breaker bar. Once you get the starter unbolted, slide if off the lower stud and rotate it 180 degrees. It will then fall right out that hole. Remove the cables, swap starter, feed it back up through the hole upside-down, flip it, and bolt it in place.

:cussing: Knowing what I know now, I'd say a 15 minute job... :cussing: Oh if I knew then what I know now!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Once again, it's a matter of reading the manual and then figuring out how to really do it. Congrats! First tries can be frustrating, but at least now you've got the knowledge and shared it with others. You might have to replace the starter again, and you'll be way ahead. Plus, you didn't pay a shop $200 to do the work. Thanks for the info! I hope my Haynes manual instructions didn't cause you more pain than good.

You dood it! :clap2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts