Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Am I Driving?
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few questions about the flash-reflash capabilities of the PCM/ECM. I've done quite a bit of tuning with GM's LS series motors and would like to get into my newly aquired Dakotas computer.

1) What is the proper term for the stock control module, PCM, ECM, VCM ?

2) Is the stock unit flashable or do you have to upgrade to a MOPAR unit?

3) If the stock unit is flashable, who makes the flashing software?

C

·
0 Posts
All three terms are the same thing, but Mopar refers to it as the PCM.

All PCM's are programable, including the stock unit. I would not recommend programming the Mopar Performance PCM, except to flash your VIN number into it.

There are three things you can do to get more performance. You can get a Mopar Performance PCM. I recommend www.southeastperformance.com for it. John includes VIN programming at no cost, so that will save you some cash. That runs around $350 I believe. That's only available for vehicles up to 2000 though. You can also get a programmer from Superchips or Hypertech (Both $350-$400). Finally, you can get a custom PCM flash (if your engine has had major modifications to it, otherwise it's a bit pricey and you can't go back to your stock program to tow or use 87 octane gas). B&G Chrysler does custom programming for $400+. www.bgchrysler.com

There is a group buy going on right now for a Superchips programmer for $311 shipped. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54315

·
Registered
422 Posts
I thought all the OBD IIs could be reflashed with a SCT tuner?

B

·
0 Posts
I thought all the OBD IIs could be reflashed with a SCT tuner?
Look at the date of the thread...04-29-2005, 04:23 PM !!! SCT was totally unkown back then!

But to answer your question, yes the OBD IIs can be upgraded with a SCT tuner.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry, new here. I was using the search feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts