Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dual exhaust out the back of my R/T, and I want to shoot flames. I would like to build the system myself rather than buy a kit. Has anyone done this? If not any ideas? The main things I will need are sparkplugs, coils, spray nozzles, some type of fuel (gas, propane), and the basic wiring(switches etc.). Any ideas,tips???? Thank you!

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Need to get rid of the cats if you plan on doing this, i looked into it, found out there was too much to it...and not to mention alot of gas you would be wasting.

If you do it, mise well buy a kit sell them from $100-$250, might not be cheaper but atleast you know you have all the parts.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There is a kit online, i believe it's at http://www.autoloc.com/products/flame.lasso

There's no spray nozzles or anything like that needed, just gutted or no cats at all and you need to make your truck run a little bit, ehh alot richer than stock...extra fuel will enter your exhaust and ignite if it's very hot.

The way I used to do it (not on purpose mind you) on my supra before was exactly the same. I had 3" piping from the turbo back to the tip, no cats, nada. I always had my fuel computer tuned slightly rich, and at night on the freeway if i punched it and let off the gas or downshift it would sometimes flame out...i'd just see my mirrors go red...very useful for getting rid of tailgaters. My buddies and I used to do canyon runs locally here in socal and it was cool seeing the walls of the canyon light up with bright red and orange color in the middle of the night. One time I was feeling stupid and in a parking lot turned my fuel computer max rich, and even though the car ran like shit I revved it up in neutral and about every 5 revs a giant fireball would come out...and it went pop pop pop very loud. At one point it shot up higher than my decklid...that's when I stopped LOL...can't imagine it being good for the o2 sensors :nono: :rofl:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way I had it planned out was to inject some type of fuel into the exhaust via a small fuel tank+pump through spray nozzles. And ignite that with the spark plugs placed downstream of the spray nozzles in the pipes. I never even had in mind to richen up the fuel to my motor. That in theory should work. And it won't affect how the engine runs. I think richening the fuel would prove to be a bad idea and bad for the engine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That'd be an interesting way to do it with a separate fuel supply, but how safe it is i'm not sure...that's what's worrying me. Well running pig rich will destroy the o2 sensor, but it won't harm the engine other than make it run out of tune. The safe mode for most all cars is to run rich to prevent detonation. If you watch touring car racing, le mans, or rally you'll sometimes see the cars shoot flames out their exhaust pipes as they slow down to enter turns and such. It's just that they have the cars tuned precisely at the upper rpm range for a near perfect mixture, and when the revs drop, the imbalance occurs and there's more fuel than air...thus the unburnt stuff goes out the tailpipe and ignites.

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
There was a guy selling kits on ebay that some people liked. Can't remember his name but I am sure it will pop up after a search.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I don't think it's a very good idea, but if you want to go right ahead. I would put the money into something work while If a cop sees you blow flames he is going to be on your ass real quick.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
On Pimp My Ride, they installed a flame thrower kit on a car. The owner made them uninstall it though. It was not street legal.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Adam said:
OMG Goon you got a new avatar!!! Looks good bud.
Yeah I decided that it was time for a change. That was a pic of my D when It was bone stock. I have added some nice mods to since then and it was time to reflect that in the avatar. Also, the old pic was at my old apartment, I have moved to better scenery!

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
What most flamethrower kits do is install a spark plug (or 2 or 3) in your exhaust near the tip, and also link into your ignition - when you push the button it will temporarily interrupt your ignition so the fuel gets sucked down the exhaust instead of being burnt in the cylinder, and the spark plug town at the tip will light the fuel. I'm sure the effect isn't very good for the O2 sensors, but it does work.

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Throwing flames consistantly with an injected vehicle will be difficult unless you use a separate fuel supply nozzle in the tailpipe.

Cutting the ignition like Stacy did with his kit on "Trucks" will only work with a carbureted vehicle. Usually if you figure out how to interrupt the ignition on a computer controlled car, the computer will shut down the injectors as well so you get no extra unburned gas throught the cats.

I've seen it done by installing a small fuel injector in the tail pipe just before the igniter plug and running a secondary fuel pump. That does work and you wouldn't have to gut the cats to do it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That would be cool until your body kit or tailgate catches fire. :banana2:

·
Big Red
238 Posts
im thinking about going all straights out of dual side pipes and throwing on a flamethrower kit :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts