Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I am heading with some friends to a drag strip to see what my truck can do. It is the first time i have ever raced. You guys have ANY tips for me that might help out?

And my question is, should i run with the O/D off? or will it matter.

:help:

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
boominkota318 said:
This weekend I am heading with some friends to a drag strip to see what my truck can do. It is the first time i have ever raced. You guys have ANY tips for me that might help out?

And my question is, should i run with the O/D off? or will it matter.

:help:

OD, definitly OFF.

weight reduction as much as possible. drop the spare, bed cover, stereo if possible, no more than and 1/4 tank of gas.

do ya have slicks or no? if not, drop your air pressure to ~18psi or so. watch and learn.

when ya is lookin at the lights (they go quick!!) as soon as the last yellow goes off, GO!!!

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes i do have slicks. but they are true slicks, not even a groove so i hope that doesnt disqualify me for "Street" classes

Wait till the light goes OFF or comes ON? Ive heard both.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Wait till the last yellow light turns off......youll kno what to do exactly after you do a few runs....do a nice burnout in the wetbox first(BURNOUT ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE WETBOX OR YOULL DEFEAT THE PURPOSE!) or if you choose not to burnout go around the wetbox!!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
here's some good don'ts to remember;dont stall the engine-dont leave your turn signal on-dont red light-dont stop then back up for a do over-dont switch lanes going down the track-and PLEASE dont crash! but seriously have a good time and get as many runs in you can,by the end of the night you'll be an old pro.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
You can "trans brake" it while your waiting for the lights. If you have you tires down low (Like the above mentioned 18 PSi) you should be able to launch decently hard.

I don't know what kind of gears you have, so more than likely you got 3.55s which will DOG outa the hole... DO NOT MASH THE THROTTLE! Just let off the brake pedal, once you start to move EASE into the throttle. Again, don't mash it, just gentle roll into it to WOT. For some reason the magnum motors just don't do well with the straight to WOT thing...

The weight savings thing will get you that extra 1/10 or two, but on a rookie run, I really doubt it's woth it. On my cummins removing the T gate, Spare and other such toys (tool set etc) knocked a 1/10 off my blazing 16.9 to a 16.8! Now ofcourse a dakota weights less, but I seriously doubt you'll have your "driving style" that dialed that it'd make a consistant dent in your E.T.s

Good luck! I am thinking of taking my truck out this weekend too, seems like a good weekend for a floggin, and to show everyone what a true 17 second dakota looks like. I'd be happier than a pig'n'shit if I get a 16 Sec slip... (I am just a tic over 6k Ft here (I thinks))

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MoparDrvnFiremn said:
slicks won't take you out of street...street should just mean Street Legal :biggthump
Thats what i mean though, true slicks ARENT street legal, you have to at least have a groove in the center, these have none.

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well hopefully they just have a head to head thing, thats all im really intersted in right now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.