Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm impressed. installed the 87 octane program in the store parking lot. not much more power but the idle is smoother and the throttle response is quicker. then i took a drive to burn up the gas and filled up with 93 octane. holy s**t this thing just screams now. it really pulls hard in third and fourth gears. 14 second club here i come!

J

·
0 Posts
I couldnt believe the difference myself. You should notice your mpg go up to.... Once your done playin around :biggthump

·
Registered
406 Posts
Now how much of a performance gain would you see on a 5.2L 5 speed, since i now the superchips does amazing things for the auto tranny's how about the other of us with a stick?

·
Registered
388 Posts
where are you guys buying the superchips at? Somehow I refuse to pay 350- 400 bucks for one when a mopar pcm is less. Right now i'm tossing it up between the superchips or a tb. So the superchips really is worth it eh? Hmm...still more unsure since running premium would be the only way to go with it...

C

·
0 Posts
Since you've got a 2001 Dak, you really don't have a choice on the Mopar PCM. They only made them for up to 2000 models unfortunately and they are only going up in price since apparently they're not making some of them anymore according to a DC rep I spoke with.

As far as the pricing on Superchips, you can get them on ebay brand new for less than $300 including free shipping.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
supradakotaman said:
where are you guys buying the superchips at? Somehow I refuse to pay 350- 400 bucks for one when a mopar pcm is less. Right now i'm tossing it up between the superchips or a tb. So the superchips really is worth it eh? Hmm...still more unsure since running premium would be the only way to go with it...
The advantage of superchips is that you don't have to run premium gas all the time. You can be a weekend warrior. With the mopar pcm or flash, you are stuck with it. Get one load of crappy gas and can't simply detune it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There's a superchips group buy thread over at dodgetalk.com...the first round of the gb is over, but the guys doing it still is hooking dodgetalk members up. I think the price is like $330 shipped.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got the Super chip on my V6 3.9 and YUP it helps ALOT!!!! I also got the performace tuning on it and run 87 and it runs fine. If it would start to ping I could just change tuning or put in higher gas. Also with the chip you get a code reader and you can kill the rev and speed limmiter. If you are trying to decide between a TB and the chip. I GOT BOTH, and the CHIP is the way to go. I noticed NOTHING with the TB, and it is an F&B 48mm.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
DakotaRed said:
I got the Super chip on my V6 3.9 and YUP it helps ALOT!!!! I also got the performace tuning on it and run 87 and it runs fine. If it would start to ping I could just change tuning or put in higher gas. Also with the chip you get a code reader and you can kill the rev and speed limmiter. If you are trying to decide between a TB and the chip. I GOT BOTH, and the CHIP is the way to go. I noticed NOTHING with the TB, and it is an F&B 48mm.
Luke you should try putting your stock tb back on and see if the tuner alone gives you the same performance. Sometimes mod work together but not seperately.

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, i've been beating on it for a few days now to and from work and i'm still getting 18 mpg. i like it!! damn truck really hauls a**!!! haven't had anyone try to run me yet. can't wait. lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Someone said earlier that you can't get one for the 2001 and above, but I just looked at the website and it says you can use it on the 98-03's with 5.2,5.9,4.7 and 3.9 engines. I was kind of bummed to see that because I have a 97 5.2 so I probably won't be able to use one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
well i ordered one yesterday, hopefully will be here this week. After a few hundred miles i'm going to the dyno and will compare it to my first run a few months back that was stock (intake/muffler only) to make sure it really does what superchips claims. otherwise i won't be a happy camper...

J

·
0 Posts
Post the results. I'd be interested to see what you came up with. I know there is alot of factors that affect hp like daytime temp(heat) and such.

·
Registered
322 Posts
supradakotaman said:
well i ordered one yesterday, hopefully will be here this week. After a few hundred miles i'm going to the dyno and will compare it to my first run a few months back that was stock (intake/muffler only) to make sure it really does what superchips claims. otherwise i won't be a happy camper...
Trust me you will be a happy camper...............

·
Am I Driving?
66 Posts
I'd like to see your dyno results too.

The superchips for my WS6 is only good for 5-7 rwhp - not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
03Dak said:
I'd like to see your dyno results too.

The superchips for my WS6 is only good for 5-7 rwhp - not worth it in my book.
People pay more than that for headers and the same kind of performance increase or less. Is it worth it? You might pay that much for RR's. Is it worth it? What bolt on will give more hp, more mpg and several performance levels for less money?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
supradakotaman said:
Well it came via ups only 20 minutes ago. I'm going to finish up the 87 I have in the tank right now, then fill it up with 91 and upload the program. I'll drive the truck for a few days and re-dyno to see the results. We'll see what happens.
Wow, mine came at about 11:30 CDT. I installed the 87 octane program. I've tried the Performance program on 87 octane once before and only go slight pinging. Even with 87 octane the performance was very noticable. I may try it again with 89 octane and then maybe throw in some 100LL.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts