Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody my name is Phil, I just picked up a 2000 Durango Rt 2 days ago, it has 190,000 miles on it I've already done a fresh oil change and replace the front brake pads. I called the local Dodge dealership and had them check on recalls and it turns out that the upper ball joint recall on this was never replaced which is good and bad for me... Good because I'm getting a brand new parts for free but bad because that lets me know the previous owners probably didn't do the best job of maintenance

So my questions to all of you guys is what else should I be looking for on something like this as far as key problem points with these trucks? I'm getting ready to move across country from California to Alabama and I want to make sure that this thing will survive the drive

Another question I have, how hard or easy is it to reconnect the 4 wheel drive engagement box or whatever it's called, the shifter is there and I have the linkage to it but it is not connected I will post the picture see you know what I'm talking about but I want to be able to utilize the 4 hi or 4 lo if I get stuck in a bad area

Thanks for any and all replies in advance :)

·
Toxic Avenger
1,116 Posts
The transmissions in a word suck. That is the only constant issue I have had with mine. Blew up the first one. The new rebuild never has worked quite right. I drive from Nevada to Arkansas regularly. You will be lucky to get better than 15 mpg. My best was 17.8 mpg with a tailwind. Cant help you with the transfer case shifter, mine is an electronic switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I drove it from Anaheim up to Bakersfield and didn't have any problems going to the grapevine so hopefully this thing runs smooth across country lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome... btw go Braves and go Penguins lol

So should I address my questions in the mechanical or 1st gen Durango specific section or just wait on here too see if people answer?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
I would suggest posting separately as not as many people view this section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts