Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Already I'm trying to get started on a summer project. I want to make a custom fiberglass enclosure for four 12"s and two amps. I was just hoping that maybe some of you guys can help me start. I have never used fiberglass before but I have been reading about it and I think I have an idea but I would like some more info. :help:

S

·
0 Posts
Fiberglass help

Hey,

I have been using fiberglass for a while now and I have learned one important thing, and that is you dont always need to use firberglass. I have a few videos that talk about using fleece or some other polyester cloths to start. You need to make a base first. If you are doing this in the rear of the truck under the seats in the back, I would recommend you use firberglass. Here is what I do to make a base. I use 3m masking tape. Make sure not to use the blue version only the tan colored one. Cover the area completely with tape that you want to fiberglass. Then cut some pieces of fiberglass to completely cover the area. Then when you apply the resign, do not paint it on you will waste resign and make a mess. Take a big chip brush and cut a cm or 2 off of the bristles. Next to apply the resign you need to do dabbing motions using streight up and down motions to push the resign into the glass matt. Use a mat that is pretty moveable because there are a lot of corners to deal with in the bottom areas. Keep doing that until the whole area is coverd. Get back to me if you need more help getting started I will try to help as much as possible. Its kinda hard typing all this. If I cant help you ill point you out to some good dvd's that will help you learn how to fiberglass.

Josh

·
Registered
872 Posts
here is a pointer. Practice on something small first. Dont jump right into your main project. make switch pannel or something small first. Even if its just taking a piece of cloth on tin foil and putting resin on the cloth. Do something with it so you get used to the way the resin works. Make sure you read and reread the instructions that are for mixing on the resin because it is sometimes different for each company. After you have put the resing on the piece of cloth try and make a something that is a little bigger and then a little bigger and then work up to your sub box.

Remember fiberglass is strongest on curves if you are doing a strait flat area, do yourself a favor and use wood it will save yourself alot of time.

F

·
0 Posts
The ultimate site EVER is www.hzemall.com. The owner is Tim and he used to work at Future shop in Vancouver BC. He is now on his own and he rocks. The site has step by step pics and descriptions of how he does things. It really helped me when I was starting and I am a Rockford Certified installer who does custom installs for a living.
Take a peek and enjoy.

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
When using dowels to mount baffles and such...don't be shy...use A LOT of hot glue. Buy a couple cans of compressed air, turn it upside down...squirt it on the hot glue to get it to set up almost instantly. Same with fleece, use a lot of glue. Also, I recommend painting one coat of resin on the exterior of the fleece...and then re-inforcing with glass on the INTERIOR. Makes for A LOT less time sanding. Just a few of many pointers.

NG

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I, atleast as of now, am only planning on using glass for the bottom of the box, I think the rest will be made out of 3/4 MDF. I was planning Foiling the crap out of the floor, taping the seams with Duct tape (the aluminum type, not the normal stuff) and them laying down a layer of the Fiberglass cloth, the mat seems like it wouldn't flex enough to make the contours. and soak that, then using pieces of mat where I can (I hear it's stronger than the cloth) and just putting like 4 or 5 layers of that and or the cloth on their...

Comments?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you want to go that route you can try cutting the side pieces of the box first. Then cut side strips of cloth and staple them to the bottom edges of the box so they protrude to the interior of the box. Use cloth for the first layer, then add layers of matting for thickness and strength. Be sure to run some fiberglass about an inch up the inner sides of the box for strength. You can then finish the rest of the box as you see fit. I did this to make a custom box for (4) 10" L7 subs to fit under the back of my 99 Ram and only had to lift the seat 1.5" for clearance. It hit hard and never had a problem with the glass. Just be sure to take your time and do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts