Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gord
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow members: I'm installing a new Kenwood deck and have spliced the appropriate after market wiring harness to the new decks's harness and all is good and tested in the vehicle. There was one wire (purple with yellow stripe) connected directly to the back of the original deck that I'm not sure where it goes to, or what it is for (I thought it might be to power on the amp but I am getting output even with it disconnected). The new deck has a dedicated steering remote control cable (blue/yellow) separate from its general harness and which I'm not using as I do not have remote controls in the steering wheel. The new deck has a blue with white stripe wire in the harness that is labeled "Power Control Wire" but the new harness doesn't have a corresponding wire. Questions; Should I connect the blue/white wire in the new deck harness to the purple/yellow wire that was connected to the original deck? Is this necessary if I'm getting audio output with it disconnected?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Power Control Wire is for turning on an amp. If you have sound without it, I would not worry about it. As for the purple/yellow, I have no idea.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think its for your radio controls behind your steering wheel

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dakota steering wheels don't have radio controls.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
i just hooked up my new headunit today and dont recall a purple/yellow tracer...at all.

·
Gord
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. Didn't cut anything. Kenwood deck came with its harness and I bought an aftermarket harness and spliced the 2 together. Here's a shot of the "unidentified" wire, and where it connected to the deck. And I should add that I was wrong earlier. The AM/FM works great but no output from CDs although the track time increments and the equalizer shows activity.

Attachments

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
what was on the other end? nothing? i did have a white plug in both my trucks i never really looked at. maybe thats it?

·
Gord
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the problem... I don't know where it goes from the back of the head unit. It 'disappears" into the dash inside a larger wiring harness. I'm gonna pull the passenger side kick panel tomorrow and see if it is connected to the amp.

B

·
0 Posts
Maybe this will help. It's called VT/YL on the wiring diagram. Runs from the CTM to the OBDII port to the radio.

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
factory... this '04 came loaded!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I got 'em in my 2000 too.

If you got the controls on your steering wheels and want to use their functionality with the new deck, PAC sells adapters.

·
Gord
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Situation resolved. Thanks for all the input. Never did find out exactly what the violet/yellow wire was for but a friend had a simialr setup in his jeep and it was tied into the OBD2 and could be used to reset some flags through the radio. Guess only the Gods will know for sure - it remains disconnected. My solution to the audio problem was to tie both the blue wire and the blue/white wire in the new deck's harness to the single blue in the after market harness (thanks to Thom at ModifiedLife). Radio, CD, USB, AUX and Bluetooth all working and sounding great. :woot:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts