Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 durango slt with only a factory tape player. So I found a good deal on a factory cd player from a 02 Ram thinking it would be a direct plug and play. Well it turns out that the harness is different. Is there anyway to make this cd player from the Ram work in my durango? TIA.

Shawn

·
Registered
667 Posts
How good of a deal are you talking when you say you got a good deal?

You could get both of the wiring diagrams from the Durango and the Ram and cut your stock harnesses out....but thats a bad idea from the get-go.

Am I safe to assume you just have the cd player and thats it. If thats the case, you're gonna have to find the stock harness(s) from a Ram, and then possibly buy just a 'smart harness' to put into your Durango harness(s). Then connect the Ram Harness to that, and then put that into the cd player. But thats a hell of a lot of wires to have behind your cd player for absolutely no reason. I'm not a HU pro, so I'd call up a CC or BB or any local shop and see what they say. Cuz all of those harnesses are gonna set ya back a lot of cash. Btw, thats also gonna be a b1tch load of work.

You're actually probably better off gettin a cheap aftermarket HU and a smart harness, I just did that today and I didn't have to splice one wire to get the new HU in. Then if you do this you can later on expand w/ sub amps, highs and mids amps, etc...

I'm thinkin unless you're good deal on the CD player is like $20, get an aftermarket HU and don't mess w/ the Ram one.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
JohnnyKo12 said:
I'm thinkin unless you're good deal on the CD player is like $20, get an aftermarket HU and don't mess w/ the Ram one.
yea and sell the stock ram hu on ebay for $100...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
camaro 22 said:
I have a 99 durango slt with only a factory tape player. So I found a good deal on a factory cd player from a 02 Ram thinking it would be a direct plug and play. Well it turns out that the harness is different. Is there anyway to make this cd player from the Ram work in my durango? TIA.

Shawn
That's interesting!! Every mopar I have owned since my first new Daytona in 85 has had interchangeable stereo's including the Mitsubishi built Avenger we had. I know my wife's 03 PT has rounded corners where it fits through the bezel but I didn't know the changed the harness too.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, either way it looks like i'm going to sell the cd player I have from the 03 Ram. I'm looking at either getting a factory cd player that's made for my durango, or going with a pioneer 1.5 din for a better looking fit.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
camaro 22 said:
Well, either way it looks like i'm going to sell the cd player I have from the 03 Ram. I'm looking at either getting a factory cd player that's made for my durango, or going with a pioneer 1.5 din for a better looking fit.
Do this... before you sell it, go to your nearest dodge dealer. Go to the parts department. And tell them you bought this cd player from one of your friends that had an 03 ram, and you thought it would work. Tell them that you need one with the correct harness behind it so you can put it in your durango. They may not even charge you anything if you ask them to swap it out.

I'd try that before I fool with trying to sell it.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
adapter

I don't know if this is true, just what i've read on ebay since i'm trying to sell my 2003 Dakota CD player. I've read that the newer decks come with a single rectangle 22 pin connector and the old decks come with 2 7 pin connectors. I've never tried it but i've read that you can buy an adapter from a stereo shop to plug the 2 7 pin connectors into the single 22 pin connector on the newer decks. it seems the single connector is on the 02+ decks. Better than cutting and splicing... just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts