Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory breaks squeel, drives me nuts. Been going on for the last 2 years or so.

I only drove the Dak 3k miles last year :huh:, Plan on driving it more this year. lol

I had the dealer look at it when getting the ball joint recall done, he said breaks look fine.

had 2 other shops look at them when rotating tires and changing fluids.

Had the tire shop look at them last week they said breaks look fine.

68k miles on factory breaks now. so im surprised the dealer and local shops keep telling me they are fine. Noise is driving me crazy though.

Any suggestions, if not I will probably just replace them.

B

·
0 Posts
Get you a good set of ceramic pads and resurface your rotors or buy new ones. My DD has the semi-metalic pads on the front and the damn brake dust is about to drive me friggin' crazy so in the near future I'm going to be replacing them with a new set of the Ultra Ceramic pads from NAPA. They have a lifetime warranty so if anything goes wrong, I'll get a new set FREE!!!

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
same thing with me and my semi metalics. I got em from napa and when I get the time and money I will be getting ceramics...

·
Registered
863 Posts
How are the ceramic pads and stock rotors? My rotors are fine but I would like to get a dustless set of pads while im changing out a set of brake lines that blew

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
ive put ceramics on every truck ive owned because the regular cheap ones make a mess of the rims and they can be noisy. every time you change pads, you should always ATLEAST have the rotors turned, if not replaced. shops here will turn them for $10 a piece if you bring them in, so why not? at 68k, it wont hurt to turn them. and when i install pads, i always shoot the backs of them with that disc brake quiet stuff. not sure how it works, but i havent had noisy brakes in years. and make sure you lube the caliper pins while its apart. i do it twice a year on my trucks.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Mine has had squealing issues no matter what brakes I've installed. Squealing is from vibrations. Make sure you use anti squeal compound on the pads. That will reduce or eliminate it. Do not use the spray. Use the stuff in the bottle/tube and slather it on the back of the pads in the contact area.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Do not use the spray.
the spray is for the back of the pads, its almost like a "filler" that takes up microscopic clearances between piston/pad backing plate and caliper/pad backing plate on the other pad. the compound is for the pins and for the surface where the pads slide on the bracket. the compound may work like the spray, ive just never used it like that. the less "goop" you slob on brake parts, the better, tho. thats why i use the spray. it hasnt ever done me wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies, looks like I will add brake job to the list. lol. Damn list is growing fast since i started coming here

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
part of the squeeling being heard could also just be from infrequent use. only 3,000 miles all of last year?

that's more than I put on my big block Dakota, and with humidity being what it is, even if it doesn't rain, I'll get surface rust forming on my rotors from just sitting. that rust creates dirt and dust as you use the brakes, sticking to the pad material and imbedding itself into it--which can also lead to noisy brakes until it's all completely worn away and gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts