Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know its a little late but what do you think of extang.
http://www.extang.com/docs/classicplatinum.html

i got this one on order. i am looking for low cost but i like this one. 240.00 carquest. i know it cheeper on some sites but i need it by thursday and the ones i called could not get it here buy than
so i got 2 days to think it over.

Let me know

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have heard bad things about extang. One of my professors has a Ford Lightning and he bought an extang cover for it and he had tons of problems with it. He has since bought a sportmaster tonneau cover and has loved it a lot. I know they are a little more expensive, but you are going to like it a lot more and it will last forever. Just something to think about. And why do you need one right away? If you dont mind me asking, should have thought about buying one a while ago, if you need it right away for something errgent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well the wife decided that next week will be the last one she will have free till about November and we wanted to go to Yellowstone. I looked into some website but they could not guarantee that it would be here before Friday when we leave.
it has already been ordered. what kind of problems were they. I wanted a truxedo but they are twice the price, and its just one of those things all I have to spend at this time is about 300 MAX. and i want a roll up one not a fiberglass one.

well I guess I can change my mind

·
Registered
280 Posts
He has said that it shrinks in the winter and is hard to get on and off and that it has cracked here and there around the sides. Maybe his was made on a Monday. :p I dunno.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the one im getting has the snaps on a slide that is of center. with this i can flip them for winter so it will not be so tight :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sundragon said:
the one im getting has the snaps on a slide that is of center. with this i can flip them for winter so it will not be so tight :)
yea, thats what i have. i havent had it in the winter yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YellowDak99 said:
He has said that it shrinks in the winter and is hard to get on and off and that it has cracked here and there around the sides. Maybe his was made on a Monday. :p I dunno.
I have one of those on the dakota and it's shit! i washed the truck yesterday so i had to undo it and i couldn't get it done up again because it had totally shrunken so now it's all folded up, meanwhile the bars look horrible showing!
Also the snaps are getting all bent for some reason.
I'd NEVER buy one again, that's for sure

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually now that i have had it installed i love it. snaps working great. seals are great. I like the looks and am very happy with it.
Thanks everyone for the comments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm glad your's works :) (sorry bout the rant) haha but it just really pissed me off when i discovered it had totally shrunk.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Mine is great

I have one, and I have had no problems with it. The one I have is the one with the snaps you can flip over. The company knows they shrink. In the directions, it says be sure to flip the snaps in the winter because cold weather will cause any vinyl or leather to shrink. Hot weather makes it expand, so thats what the flip option is for. Everything has been perfect, and, the cover itself has a 10 year warranty. Most other soft tonneaus only have a 1 or three year warranty.

~Wayne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YellowDak99 said:
I have an extang classic on my Dakota that I have owned for about 5 years. It was on my 89 Dakota before I picked up the 99.

The shrinking and getting stiff in the winter is definately an issue but I think you will have the same issue with any soft tonneau.

Mine does have the offset snaps and has two positions for the cross rails. I have found that you really do not need to use those features. I leave mine in the tightest position year round. The trick is to snap the two outside corner snaps on the back rail and then the two on the sides at the back. Then work toward the center on the back and from the front on the sides.

I have have not had any signs of tearing or any other problems. Clean with some convertable top dressing from time to time and it still looks a good as the day it came out of the box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts