Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here is the deal. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota extended cab with the 4.7 ltr v8, it is a 4by. About a year ago i installed a xcelerator catback system on it, single in(3 inch) duel out(2.50 inch) system. Well it doesnt sounds bad, but i am at the point where i want to get a little more aggressive sounding muffler. Now i dont want to shatter windows but i do want a aggressive tone. I know that the flowmaster 40 series is loud, would it be to loud? Also, what about magnaflow. I am curently attened universal technical institutes so i have access to lifts and such so thats no problem. Im just stuck as to what to get. Would you guys let me know some of the setups on your trucks and how you like them. Thank you, my naem is Rick.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
40's the way to go. here's mine

·
Registered
165 Posts
Flowmasters new super 40 sounds pretty good. Its not obnoxously raspy like the original 40. It has the same loudness but it is a deeper sound than a raspy sound. My buddy has a 4.7 with gibson dual sport on it and it sounds pretty good. Quiet at idle but when he gets on it it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yup i like my 40's nice and mellow inside the cab, but friends say it's dam nice and loud when i fly by them :mullet:

·
Registered
75 Posts
wykdrt said:
Flowmasters new super 40 sounds pretty good. Its not obnoxously raspy like the original 40. It has the same loudness but it is a deeper sound than a raspy sound. My buddy has a 4.7 with gibson dual sport on it and it sounds pretty good. Quiet at idle but when he gets on it it sounds pretty good.
Of these two, which one has the deeper more aggressive tone? I have not been able to decide between them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Super 40 by far. Its not as wraspy as the original 40 due to the larger case. Might not be as loud as the original 40 but the super 40 has a much better deeper flowmaster sound to it. Basically if you go to their website you can listen to the sounds. I would have to say it sounds like the 40 series delta flow only a little deeper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
wykdrt said:
Super 40 by far. Its not as wraspy as the original 40 due to the larger case. Might not be as loud as the original 40 but the super 40 has a much better deeper flowmaster sound to it. Basically if you go to their website you can listen to the sounds. I would have to say it sounds like the 40 series delta flow only a little deeper.

Thanx for the input. I have been leaning towards the original 40, maybe I will go with the super 40s. I want the really DEEP AGGRESIVE sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what type of setup are you planning on running. If your going with duals out the back i would get the larger tips to go with it. I use to have borla tips on mine with the original 40 at first and then i switched over to a 24" long tip with a 4" exit and 2 1/2" inlets and that deepened up the tone alot. Basically the bigger the pipes the deeper the tone but if you are going to run a dual tailpipe setup you'll want to stick with smaller pipes so you don't lose backpressure and lose low end torque. 2 1/4 would be good for your 4.7L the largest i would go would be 2 1/2" tailpipes if your doing a dual setup. I have gotten lots of compliments on the super 40. My buddy liked it so much he put it on his f-150 and it sounded awsome. aggressive when idling but when he opened it up it had a mean aggressive sound to it and he had 3 cats on his truck. I think you'll be more satisfied with the super 40 rather than the original 40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts