Dakota Durango Forum banner

Exhaust Recommendation

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DADDYODODGE1 
#1 ·
What exhaust setup would you recommend for a 2003 Dakota SLT 4X4 4.7L V8? The more I research I get more confused!

#9 ·
So this is going to sound a little bit crazy but I've actually been looking on eBay and they have some fairly decent dual exhaust kits for like $200. And I'm not going to lie but I'm probably going to get one of those and slap on my 4.7 to see how it does.

#7 ·
After my Gibson cat back rusted out I had my local shop do a custom system based on a stainless Borla single in/dual out. That was over 15 years ago and it's not only still intact but the best sounding system I ever heard on a Dakota. I still get compliments on it. As for headers, if you can't get long tubes it's kind of a moot point. Shorties don't do much. The "Y" pipe is the biggest killer, not sure anyone is making a performance version anymore. Might have to go custom, but it's gotta go.

#8 ·
Your 4.7 has only 1 cat. conv.. A duel exhaust would be more for looks than performance.
As for looks and some sound changes, I agree with WallyR that cat. back in stainless would be
the best option if you plan to keep the truck. The muffler you use will be the major part that
can change the sound quality coming out.
Good Luck, Daddyododge1

#10 ·
ive bought a couple of those ebay systems but having the tools to make something fit "right" isnt a problem for me. a welder is a must with some of those systems found on ebay. would also note depending on the kit you chose dont expect everything to last as long a normal exhaust even if it claims its stainless steel.