Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck ( 99 R/T w/ true duals) is due for some new mufflers. The current mufflers, suspected to be Flowmasters, are rusted and have a few holes in them, yes there are 2 mufflers..

The debate is : Should i get 2 new mufflers, or, go with a single muffler dual in dual out? The exhaust guy told me that running 2 mufflers would be quieter than just running 1, which is why I am considering going with a dual/dual.

Truck also has no cats, and will stay that way. And we're thinking that by going with 1 muffler dual/dual, the truck may pick up power?

This is the muffler I'm looking at going with, it's the shortest they have, which I am told the shorter the muffler the louder it will be?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11378

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He himself said " 1 muffler will be quieter than 2" when i told him i wanted it louder, so he didn't say what would make him more $$$ in sales..lol

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah lol My exhaust guy isn't in question,he's a good guy,I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to go with a dual/dual louder and more power, or go spend more money and buy 2 mufflers and be quieter..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
I'm running my 318 dumped. Having to accelerate off a stop light next to a cop was very slow going this morning.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That Magnaflow will be quieter than your current set up.
If you want loud,go with dual 6000 series spin techs.You won't be disappointed.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
I don't like quiet lol
in theory 2 mufflers will be less of a restriction, making more power.... dual/duals arent any bigger bodies than singles...yet you are trying to push 2x the air thru em....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a MagnaFlow Wide Open 11225 it sounds great on my 3.9l probably even better on a v8 truck and trust me it has a loud wide open sound under wot but at usual speeds it dose have some drone in the cab(quad for me) but if you either let of just a little or give it a little more gas she's whisper quite. Hope this helps!

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
That Magnaflow will be quieter than your current set up.
If you want loud,go with dual 6000 series spin techs.You won't be disappointed.
this! i love my spintechs. aggressive as hell. literally everywhere i go there are heads turning and mirin' :mullet:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Go 2 mufflers and then cutouts for really loud

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
You running them true duals? tail pipes? video?
Spintech mids, true dual 3" pipe straight back from the headers and turndowns before the axle. If you want less in cab noise then do tail pipes but personally I love hearing the beastly sound of a v8 so it doesn't bother me. I don't have vids of it with the mufflers on yet. I can take one tomorrow and send it to you. It is loud though! I was originally going to get the 9k series but I'm glad I went to the 6k series instead, 9k would have been pissing off neighbors and cops way more :jester:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
One muffler and an electric cutout. Best of both worlds!
Go 2 mufflers and then cutouts for really loud
This. Im running 2 cut offs. Both closed the truck is quieter then a prius. (Only ever run this way when I'm sneaking around ;) Then open the first cutoff and it pure wide open 318 Magnum. 2nd cut off open first closed is 16.5" Dynomax race muffler. So Loud Medium Quiet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts