Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my 04 Quad cab with a 4.7 and Im loving it but I keep reading on here about adding exhaust and intakes and gaining power and MPG. My only question is by doing these mods what am I doing to my warranty?? I have heard from some people that htese void the warranty and others say dont worry about it. My only thing is I dont want to have a problem if something was to ever happen. So give me your thoughts. Also give me some suggestions on what exhaust to keep it somewhat quiet but also gain some power. Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second this question.

I would like to second that question as outside of my Dak, I have an 02 R/t Rango with no Mods as the dealer through in 7/70 full coverage and I wouldn't want to make Mods that could be blamed for any problems in the future. I don't believe I am engine savy enough to argue anything yet, but I am learning a lot reading the forums. :banana2:

·
Texas
207 Posts
That has come up a lot in the past. After reading around its something like this. The dealer cannot say the warrenty is void by putting after market parts on your vech. If you go in for warrenty work on your vech. if the after market part caused the problem then the warrenty does not cover it.
If you add things like intake,headers,dual exhaust. If the motor goes they will have to prove that the mods caused the problem. Since those mods only deal with letting air in/out there is no way that they caused the problem. They will have to fix the motor under warrenty.

Hope that makes sense? If not maybe some here can explain it better then me.

*edit*
this is where i read about the it.
http://www.intense-dakota.com/tips and tricks pages/will_aftermarket_parts_void_my.htm

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It is also going to depend on the dealer on how much of a hassle it gets to be. Some managers understand what the modifications are and if it affects what is wrong with the vehicle. Others immedeatly throw up the red flag. Example, when I brought my Durango new I had K&N, headers and exhaust on it right away. I had issues with oil leaks and an inept dealer who flat out lied about makling repairs (very long story). He said in a side comment to me "you know mods like that void warranty". I left that comment alone. Bottom line, I filed for a lemon and received a new engine because they did not fix the oil leak. The Chrysler regional rep. who inspected the vehicle and ordered the replacement engine had no issues with the mods. I was also supprised when I offered to give them the stock headers to put on the new engine, the rep. said that he would put back the way it was with the aftermarket headers and K&N.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Very well put guys. It all dependes on the dealership, and the Rep. My friend had a 2003 Dak 3.9 and the engine blew, he had a Hooker muffler on it and the dealer told him that his warrenty is gone becasue of it. they later found out that that engine got water in it from a flood, so his insurance had to cover it, but the dealer and the Rep told him that he had to put the stock Exhaust on or get a Dynomax muffler becasue thats what Dodge uses for the upgraded exhaust. or his warrenty is gone. Dodge is bad about warrenty from what I have seen. but who knows I know Ford does not care is you mees with the exhause, but they say the warrenty is gone if you change the cat, or the headers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.