Dakota Durango Forum banner

Evap headaches

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ConroyJr 
#1 ·
  • I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L that keeps throwing an evap leak code (large and small). I have replaced the following: gas cap, gas filler pipe, Evap purge pump, Evap purge solenoid, All associated hoses under the hood all the way back to the evap canister. When I smoke test it the only place I get any smoke at all is from the eve app filter. Is that normal? Or do I need to replace that too? Anybody got any ideas on what else it could be? Would appreciate any help.

#2 ·
Fuel tank might have a vapor leak.

#4 ·
  • I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L that keeps throwing an evap leak code (large and small). I have replaced the following: gas cap, gas filler pipe, Evap purge pump, Evap purge solenoid, All associated hoses under the hood all the way back to the evap canister. When I smoke test it the only place I get any smoke at all is from the eve app filter. Is that normal? Or do I need to replace that too? Anybody got any ideas on what else it could be? Would appreciate any help.
Have you found any solutions to your problem yet? I know it was 7 months ago but I've been driving a 2002 Dakota 4.7l 2wd and it has a pump in the front near the battery that is used for the obd to check the EVAP emmisions plumbing and tank. I'm not completely knowledgeable on exactly the specs but it's safe to assume that it creates a difference in pressure which is then monitored by a sensor for a leak. On mine, the pump seemed to malfunction but not entirely stop working so the diagnostics would set codes for leaks when no leaks were present. Again I'm not sure about the actual test logic that the CPU has in place but the scenerio was the pump would run enough to create a small pressure difference but not enough too reach the specified values the CPU was expecting. Eventually it would also throw a code for emission pump efficiency, but until then I didn't even know this truck had one. I've been a mechanic for 17 years now and this is the first time I've dealt with a pump in the EVAP system, as most manufacturers make use of engine vacuum for creating a pressure difference (vacuum pumps for turbo charged engines which the brake booster and other misc systems also used). So finding a pump used solely for the EVAP system was a new thing for me.
My point is, maybe you're experiencing a similar issue. If you fixed it I'm curious as to what you found if it was different so let me know how you made out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.