Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make the chrome part on the inside of the diamond euro headlights (from depo) come off / turn black besides water ?

See, when I first got them, the headlights fogged up, so when the summer came, I took them off, and sealed them, and they still fogged. Finally I drilled two holes in each headlight under the bulb ports. This cured the fogging problem, and I know for a fact they arent leaking, because when I wash the truck I stand there and watch to see if the water gets in and it doesnt.

I dont understand it. My Corners are perfect, and I did the same thing to them to seal them as I did the headlights.

The only possibly thing I can think of is that the water from before did it and Im just now noticing it, or maybe something else is wrong. I figured Id ask you guys. Is anyone else having this problem, or have you had it before ?

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
sounds like corrosion. it'll eat the chrome up and the black is the plastic mold of your light. is there different shades of green and grey? or did you run H.I.D.'s or higher wattage bulbs? they also can melt your light house'n

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no shades of anything...

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
sounds like your chrome has been eat'n or melted. :(

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might be right... cause I was standing in front of them the other day... and I had the headlights on... man they were putting some serious heat out. But the weird part is, where the black is showing... the light is not hitting. The black is in the corner crevises (Sp), not on the part where the light shines, so I dunno.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the light doesn't have to touch it. if your running higher wattage they're putting out some serious heat. if you can feel the heat outside then you might want to change your bulbs back to oem wattage before they burn up your wiring harness. now that would be a problem. just a suggestion

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well see, I knew about the higher temps before I got the bulbs. They are stock wattage. The wattage is 55/65 watts.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
then you should be good to go. contact the company and ask about a trade. tell them you recieved a defective set

1 - 10 of 10 Posts