Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first dakota its a 2004 with 153000u on it and i just recently started hearing the timing chain start to slap. Ive been told it will be cheaper to just put a nother motor in it rather than just fixing the timing chain. Does anybody have any idea s? Since i have only had it 2 weeks i really didnt want to have this kinda luck already. Any help will be appreciated

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
What makes you think its the timing chain? Without getting eyes on the chain and testing the flex in it, you are just guessing. Chances are the noise your hearing is something simple like a lifter or roller rocker or something. Diagnose the problem, don't guess. You'll save yourself a ton of time & money that way. Good luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop i bought it from took it apart and told me it was loose. So i guess im just going off what they told me, like i said though im no mechanic

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Timing chain slap would be do to a worn out or failed timing chain tensioner. Replacing the timing chain tensioner is easier (in my opinion) then replacing the motor. It is time consuming due to the fact that you have to remove all the components from the front of the motor, but it is ultimately easier as far as effort since it can be done in your driveway. Its a toss up on if it is faster or not. It depends on how experienced your mechanic is with your type motor. But in parts alone it is definitely cheaper to replace the tensioner or even the chain if it is worn out too.

You can check the chain & tension yourself by pulling the valve covers off the driver & passenger side and pressing on the chain. Here is a quick video on some guy checking out his timing chain on a 4.7L dodge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts