Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have the engine top end coming apart in the 2002 durango 4.7 4x4 nicely.
I FINALLY got into this. The truck has sat for too long.
This is my first time in this 4.7 animal. There is a LOT of stuff to take off just to get to the iron. This might turn into a bit of a progress report as much for my own benefit as anyone else's.

I need some advice. The main reason I am in the engine at all is because I had a compression leak to coolant. BUT it would be a shame not to consider some upgrades while I have it apart. I want some help to decide where is money well spent.

This will be a daily driver, it will do some coast to coast trips in the next few years. Fuel economy is important but some more power and better breathing would be nice. It will never see a drag strip but it will do occasional towing. It has the facrory towing package. It is the older JTEC 3 plug computer if that helps at all.

It is bone stock today. Here is what I am interested in:
1. 206 cams. Are they actually available anywhere?
2. Port and polish the heads while they are out?
3. Throttle body..... but what size 68mm, 70mm?
4. Headers ?? there seem to be mixed reviews?
5. Injectors??
Please help me prioritize these and recommend things I do not know about.

PROGRESS REPORT

FRIDAY
Front bumper off.
Trans cooler off.
Radiator Out.
Accessories (Alternator, Fan clutch, electric fan, Water pump)
Idler off

Parts everywhere...

SATURDAY
Unbolted power steering pump and lay it on front crossmember.
Unbolted AC compressor and hung it from hood.
Oil filler neck off.
Throttle body off.
Air intake off.
Fuel rail/injectors off.
Tied back the wiring harnesses out of the way
Valve covers off.
Timing cover off.

SUNDAY
Exhaust manifolds off the heads. (they are pretty much welded to the Y pipe though:cussing: I need to break that free somehow, any ideas. They are soaking in PB tonight)
Timing chains and sprockets marked and ready to pull the timing gears.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you already have it apart, throw some cams in there. I have also heard good things about injector upgrades.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Take your time and check everything over carefully. I'd throw in some nice cams ;)

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
since its not going to the strip, i would get the following in this order:

cams if you can find them, you need to find a set of HO cams (which are back ordered) and regrind them or find a used set to put in.
stock ported 68mm TB, cheaper than aftermarket and no loss in performance
cold air intake
superchips tuner good on gas and will help towing when you do
headers i would put last on the list since you wont really notice much if any of a difference
the cost to get a good set of ported heads will out weigh the performance you will gain with your mods, so i wouldn't really bother with that, but if you do then i would get them before the cams
no need to up the injectors for the mods your looking at

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I have a few questions.

cams if you can find them, you need to find a set of HO cams (which are back ordered) and regrind them or find a used set to put in.
Yeah..... they seem to be hard to come by if all the stuff I read on here and at Air-ram is anything to go by. HO is what, High Output? Was that a Jeep version of the same engine?

stock ported 68mm TB, cheaper than aftermarket and no loss in performance.
The fastman is the only source I have found online. Are there any other vendors I should know about? The one I took off has 68 stamped on it. I can see the restriction on the casting though. Will this give me a few HP?

cold air intake.
Makes sense. I have one on the ram (cummins diesel). I need to research this a bit. Are there any favorites out there? It has a K+N style filter in the factory box right now. (the way I bought it)

superchips tuner good on gas and will help towing when you do.
I do not know anything about superchips. I better read up so that my questions will be less stupid when the time comes.

headers i would put last on the list since you wont really notice much if any of a difference.
no need to up the injectors for the mods your looking at
Thanks.
Kevin

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,261 Posts
The cams are on national backorder with anybody.
TB's you could go with F&B, Dwights TB, or a Fastman - Dwights and Fastmans are cheaper
Superchips is just a computer reprogrammer that can improve for gas mileage, towing or performance

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Thanks... I have a few questions.

Yeah..... they seem to be hard to come by if all the stuff I read on here and at Air-ram is anything to go by. HO is what, High Output? Was that a Jeep version of the same engine?

The fastman is the only source I have found online. Are there any other vendors I should know about? The one I took off has 68 stamped on it. I can see the restriction on the casting though. Will this give me a few HP?

Makes sense. I have one on the ram (cummins diesel). I need to research this a bit. Are there any favorites out there? It has a K+N style filter in the factory box right now. (the way I bought it)

I do not know anything about superchips. I better read up so that my questions will be less stupid when the time comes.

Thanks.
Kevin
Yes the HO cams are the high output cams from jeeps.

I would recommend a TB from dwight, he sells them on here. I have one of his and a F&B, and based on the mods you want to do his would be MORE than enough. This is to the last one he sold, but i am sure he can get you one.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105332

AFE and K&N are my two favorite CAI for 4.7L in that order.

superchips is just a tuner for our trucks and it makes a nice difference, they go for under $200 used and $350 ish new. I actually have one for sale if your interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts