Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:
I was wondering if anyone had any information about engine ticking noises on a 2002 3.9 v6 4x4. I've heard it's a common problem related to slack in the timing chain and that it is nothing to worry about. I also thought that Dodge resolved the problem prior to 2002.

I would appreciate any info if anyone has had experience with this problem

I was also looking to find out how big a tire can be fit on the stock 16" wheels. The stock tires are P265/70/R16.

Thank you

·
Registered
498 Posts
The ticking noise could be an exhaust leak. I had a ticking noise that seemed to come from the passenger side in the cab, loud on start-up and then it would go quiet. Turned out to be the passenger side exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chris I have the same problem with my 2004 dakota with a 4.7 loud ticking noise on startup then it goes away. I figured it was a manifold gasket like you said. Did dodge replace it for you under warranty or did you have someone do it and pay? I assume that dodge will do it under warranty but I want to hear your experience first. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
robertvinnie said:
Chris I have the same problem with my 2004 dakota with a 4.7 loud ticking noise on startup then it goes away. I figured it was a manifold gasket like you said. Did dodge replace it for you under warranty or did you have someone do it and pay? I assume that dodge will do it under warranty but I want to hear your experience first. Thanks
They replaced it under warranty. Its not that hard to do your self, so had it not been under warranty, I would have replaced it. If you have it done under warranty, they are gonna want to let the truck sit untill it cools off before they work on it. I cant blame them. :banana2:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine ticking - part 2

Problem was troubleshot and fixed by the dealer under warranty (would have cost about 1,200 otherwise).

Noise confirmed as valve train.

Verified oil pressure was OK with mechanical gauge at idle (hot and cold).

Oil level was high (dealer put in 5 quarts instead of 4). I understand that overfilling of oil in not good as oil will foam. This can cause low oil pressure and possible engine damage. However, when oil level was drained off, ticking was still there.

The fix was replacement of all lifters. Dealer could not tell me what was wrong with the lifters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was checking out the video on the YellowKota2k.

That is a very cool video..those tires are perfect.

I noticied that the rims are 15".

I dont know if the same tires in 16" would fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.