Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been keeping my eye on the new crate engines that Mopar has been bringing out, researching which one I would like to swap for my 4.7L. The guy that have the black dakota before me bought it with the intesion of dropping a HEMI in it from a Ram. I've done alot of reads on guys swapping to the 5.7L and someone 4.7l guys going to 360s. But I never find any threads about anyone doing anything huge. Granted there has been two known V10 engine swaps done in dakotas.

Right now I don't have the time, the money, or another vehicle to drive to do the swap. But I'm keeping my eye on the new 6.1L stoker engines Mopar is coming out with (392, 426, 440). So my real question has anybody done a 6.1l swap before?
:drive:
I ask for the 6.1l because deminsions wise the 6.1l should be roughly the same as the 392, 426, and 440 stoker engines.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
the 5.7 6.1 or the other 3gen hemi all use the same block so they would all swap the same.

so co with the 440 stroker hemi :drive:

Reactions: ecdak

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, first I had my mind set on the 392 (cause it rated at 525HP on the EFI). But after looking round might go 426 or 440. Basically, anything that pulls above 500HP at the flywheel is awesome, because the V10 Viper engine is only rated at 500HP at the flywheel (this is the bone stock model).

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
So I've been keeping my eye on the new crate engines that Mopar has been bringing out, researching which one I would like to swap for my 4.7L. The guy that have the black dakota before me bought it with the intesion of dropping a HEMI in it from a Ram. I've done alot of reads on guys swapping to the 5.7L and someone 4.7l guys going to 360s. But I never find any threads about anyone doing anything huge. Granted there has been two known V10 engine swaps done in dakotas.

Right now I don't have the time, the money, or another vehicle to drive to do the swap. But I'm keeping my eye on the new 6.1L stoker engines Mopar is coming out with (392, 426, 440). So my real question has anybody done a 6.1l swap before?
:drive:
I ask for the 6.1l because deminsions wise the 6.1l should be roughly the same as the 392, 426, and 440 stoker engines.
there is one company that will soon be offering an all aluminum 468....estimations put it at about 720 crank HP

·
Registered
91 Posts
not everyone can afford a big block...especially a mopar crate engine.

a 5.7 or 6.1 can be built pretty well for N/A or boost and not break the pocket book (entirely)

you also have to keep in mind of some fed laws. the engine you put in a vehicle has to be be same year or newer then the vehicle with all appropriate emissions gear. now some place are relaxed about that, but alot of the country is changing.
They don't even walk out to the vehicle around here. Hell, last time I did most of the inspection crap on the computer myself :huh:

·
Banned
62 Posts
but if it is to be driven on the streets and depending where the OP is...emissions....it wont be cheap to run the older engines...little lone legal.

you cant have a carb on an new vehicle, and a standalone wont help either, because it doesnt have the OBD2.

and maybe you can get a 440 for a few grand...then pay about a grand for the block work, then another 1850 for the stroker, then even more for a compatible intake, plus the engine mounts, plus upgrading the fuel system to either work with the carb or handle the aftermarket efi....plus a tranny that will work behind that engine, plus getting new guages........getting the point?
What do you think an equivalent smallblock will cost? lol
And I'm not talking the same punk assed cast eagle crank sr rod auto shop class motor everyone likes to call a stroker...I'm talking a nice 500+ capable motor with good shit??? regardless of the trans. If you know what you're doing with a trans you can make anything work.

You're going to have to go through the trans regardless because anything that doesnt suck is going to kill it in short order.

Add the cost of trans work into any build. You dont build a motor without building the trans along with it.:huh: Why get your new engine running and have to pull it back out 2 weeks later when you discover a band anchor in your pan?????

I dont know about all that emissions crap. I dont have that problem.
I go pay the secretary of state extortion fee and I can register and drive a leaking oil tanker if I want.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
What do you think an equivalent smallblock will cost? lol
And I'm not talking the same punk assed cast eagle crank sr rod auto shop class motor everyone likes to call a stroker...I'm talking a nice 500+ capable motor with good shit??? regardless of the trans. If you know what you're doing with a trans you can make anything work.

You're going to have to go through the trans regardless because anything that doesnt suck is going to kill it in short order.

Add the cost of trans work into any build. You dont build a motor without building the trans along with it.:huh: Why get your new engine running and have to pull it back out 2 weeks later when you discover a band anchor in your pan?????

I go pay the secretary of state extortion fee and I can register and drive a leaking oil tanker if I want.
seems as if you dont really know much about todays engines. if the guy did a 5.7 with mild boltons (cam, exhaust ported heads and tuning...close to 400hp)...for a DD as im sure its what he was looking for....his trans would be fine...why? because the 5.7 has the same tranny...and with only a few additions to the tranny it will handle mild boltons to the tranny.

i really dont know where or how you got your expertise in engines...but you will have to look at everything...including the OPs intentions before blabbing away.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
could you kindly give us a short summary of your background?

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
Swapping a 6.1 Hemi into a Dakota is a waste of time. IF you've got the money buring a hole in your pocket build a 408 and put a turbo on it. Built right and you can click off 10 sec times.
a 408 is a waste of time for those that start with a 3.7 or 4.7...a hemi can be built with alot of power for relatively cheap

·
Banned
740 Posts
my question still stands............... before contemplating such a build....... do you even have to ability to do so??

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
the same mods on a LS motor for GM or a Hemi will stomp a modular

1 - 20 of 70 Posts