Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to take the 5.2 liter Magnum V-8 out of my 98 Dakota 5-speed (4x4) and drop in the new 5.7 liter hemi out of the new Magnum. Before i buy the motor i want to know if it's even possible to swich the motors. Anyone have any idea.

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
From the mouth of my father:
Anything's possible with a welder and a torch!

But Blkkota, I think it is the width of the motor that makes it the problem, would probably have to either set it up higher in the engine compartment, or do some cutting work with the shock towers, either way, I think it could be done, and still look professional. I too have been wanting to do this, some company is making a "plug and play" kit that includes a crate motor, transmission, and the necessary wiring for whatever the application. Last I knew it was about $12,000. Well worth the money if you don't want to mess around, but you could get a used engine/tranny for about $3500-$4000 anymore, but the wiring would be the trickiest part.

·
Registered
165 Posts
that engine swap would be awsome but look at the money and horsepower aspect of it. If you just looking to get the extra horsepower from the hemi save the 12000 and get a supercharged 408 or build up the 360 and supercharge it. You'll get way more power and save a whole lot more than trying to deal with the headaches of the hemi swap. Although it would be sweet to see it. Just wouldn't make sense in my books when there are better and easier options out there.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
wykdrt said:
that engine swap would be awsome but look at the money and horsepower aspect of it. If you just looking to get the extra horsepower from the hemi save the 12000 and get a supercharged 408 or build up the 360 and supercharge it. You'll get way more power and save a whole lot more than trying to deal with the headaches of the hemi swap. Although it would be sweet to see it. Just wouldn't make sense in my books when there are better and easier options out there.
He is right. There is so much custom fabrication money, and time that has to put into the project that you could have a much more stout motor if you just build up your 318 or build up a 360 with alot less cash spent. I mean is it really worth it to do all that work when you could have a motor that has proven itself over time and can have more power output at a lesser cost? Dont do the hemi, it will work out alot better with a 318/360 or even a 408 like mentioned above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im just trying to save some money. My motor has about 100,000 miles on it right now and the 5.7 is brand new. I'm getting a deal on it from a friend of mine whose taking it out of his Magnum so he can put in the new 6.0 or 6.1 Hemi. He might only charge me $1,000. The added horsepower is a huge plus but I just really want a motor with fewer miles on it. Would a rebuild be a better option?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It would be cool, but like everyone said it is alot of work, and it is going to take alot of planing, and fabbing, and wireing. I would just rebuild your engine, or get another 318 or 360 and go from there. If you are looking for the shock factor that the Hemi would get the job done for sure. I know on the mustang board that I am on some of the guys are wanting to put 5.4L's in there stangs, and it's like why you can build a 5.0 cheaper and better than any 5.4 some are even going to try the 6.8l v10. Like I said it's the shock : factor.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Considering the price of the Hemi I can see your point. This would make me want to pull this off as well if I could pick one up for a grand.

The problem is, installing the 5.7 requires a well-equipped garage with a high degree of experience. If you have the resources then I would say go for it, if not then expect to dish out large sums of cash.

Maybe you could buy the Hemi and trade it off for a built up 408. Another concern that you may have is that the 5.7 out of the Magnum is not the same motor that is used in the Ram.
:drive:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You would need alot more parts than the engine....there's the whole computer, wire harness, speed sensors...etc. The new Hemi engine is alot more complicated than the old magnum engines. Now it's drive by wire and such. I'd find a nice used 360 or a 408.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.