Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for lack of knowing the proper place to start this maybe someone can tell me or move it for me.
I have a 1989 dodge Dakota 4x4 3.9 auto. it is not mine now but I get to figure this problem out. maybe someone here can help.

the problem is the engine will stat them stop but sometimes it will stay running. because I don't have it all the time I can't say for sure if it is heat or cold related. but last week in the garage is started every try for at least 10 times then the guy started it to take it home and walla it failed to start. so now I thought I had something to go on. I check the fuel nothing I checked the spark and it had spark. then after a few try's it again started. so I check fuel pressure and it had pressure based on feeling the inlet to the tb hose. I removed the outlet hose and the it quit. replaced the outlet and it ran. pinched the inlet and it finally quit and while trying to restart and letting off the pinch a bit at a time it started. so I changed the pump today it is back in the garage and it has the same intermittent problem. I double checked the Hanes book and I see the fuel pump connect to power the same as the coil so I'm a bit stumped. could I have a bad pump or am I looking at the print wrong?
I don't see the pump relay in the wire diagram but I do see the auto shutdown relay. but the as relay stops both the spark and the pump so should I have a bad pump relay still/ thanks. bp.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any check engine codes?

Im not familiar with that year layout tho I do have a 3.9 of my own now. What is the outlet hose you are refering to?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the outlet to the fuel on the tb.

and i checked the codes i get these 11,33,42
33 and 42 i did because i just went out and pulled the relay plugs off and tried to start it. it started with the a/c pulled but not the fuel pump auto shut down. the a/c was a plastic 4 wires the auto shutdown was a metal relay with 5 wires. but code 11 stumps me i don't ahve a timing belt and not sure about the crank or ca position sensors. don't think i hve them either. unless the sensor in the distributor hall effect is called a crank or cam sensor as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it seems this is not an average problem. i have started this truck 4 times a day for a week and it started every time. so until i cane duplicate the problem i can't fix it. thanks for the help. if anyone has an idea let me know. thanks bp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well brother took it home and you guessed it truck will not start for him. i think he is not doing it correct. so i will have to see how he stats it. he may be just tapping the starter and not giving the truck time to catch.

outside of that the only thing i can see is a bad ecu. anyone have other ideas thanks bp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
no ballast resistor. in fact when I first bought it in 89 I knew Chryslers had problems with those so I went and got one and one day at the dealer I asked the service man to show me where it went in case I needed to use it I could not fine the resistor and he said they don't use one.

one thing I did notice while reviewing the wiring diagrams the coil and the fuel pump both get power from one point and the t/b gets the power signal from two points from the ecu. when it did show a no start one time I was able to see it the t/b had no fuel showing in the ports and it has spark. I did not have the book then so I figured it was the pump now that I see the pump and spark are tied in together I'm leaning to the ecu if it turns out to be the ecu are these a plug and play unit that I can get from a junk yard and just put it in and go? ebay has one for 50.00 and it may be worth getting it just to see if that is true. I don't see any other ways the t/b would fail and still have spark. I have no pressure gage to see if it has pressure and spark when this happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts