Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a question for yall....I plan to pull my motor in the next few weeks and having it stroked out to a 408. My question is what size engine stand do I need? Harbor Freight sells 750lb and 1000lb ones. Will the 750 work or do I need the bigger one? I'm assuming I will build the engine on the stand (full long block) and drop it in the Dak (figuratively speaking) so what is a weight of a fully prepped 408? Thanks guys.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
either should be fine as its not like your going to be doing gymnastics on it.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
Our engines don't weight that much, you can go with the 750. Now, if you were working on a Cummins diesel I6 out of a Ram heavy duty, then you would need a 1250lb. rated engine stand.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you can afford it, bigger is always better when it comes to something like an engine stand. The heavier duty one will be more stable when you are working on your motor and will be less likely to tip over when moving the engine around.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. The difference between 750 and 1k is like $15 bucks I think. Not bad insurance I suppose.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Definately get the bigger one. I built one, but I could not find one I trusted to mount a Cummins on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, the bigger one will most likely have two legs on the bottom with wheels. I like this better for sliding a pan underneath it. And more stable when I am rotating the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts