Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of putting the srt8 into my dak, has any one done this yet?

Will it fit in there with out having to cut the fender wells?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Are you talking about a hemi? If so been done a few times already!

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
Was thinking of putting the srt8 into my dak, has any one done this yet?

Will it fit in there with out having to cut the fender wells?
couple of 5.7 swaps done already. making it fit is not the prob.... its all the harness you will need to make fit/work that will be a PITA.

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
6.1L would be sweet in a dak. like said, 5.7 has been done a few times. i believe they are the same dimensionally, not so sure about the rest.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
get a diesel cummins 5.9

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buy used

For the $9k the 6.1L crate motor costs, you can make a lot more than 425hp from a 5.9 Magnum.

Nolan
Yeah the crates are overpriced
Better yet
Buy a junkyard 6.1 and do some upgrades to it.
No way to dispute that the new Hemi heads are better. They can flow 370 and make more power than the 360 style heads.
The LX SRT's weigh about the same as the 00Dak and run 13.1 @108 bone stock, mine did.
Now guys are in the 10's and 11's with em and one guy did 9.69 @ 141
DB

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
For the $9k the 6.1L crate motor costs, you can make a lot more than 425hp from a 5.9 Magnum.

Nolan
The crate 6.1's have come down in price, can get one for about $5500 now.

Yes you can make a Magnum V8 produce as much hp, but the key is that the 6.1L block is just starting out - much easier to produce 600+ bhp on that block than the Magnum, plus there's a lot more tuner support out there right now.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The block itself should fit, but IIRC the accessories are mounted differently between the 5.7L and the 6.1L. I believe that most people chose the 5.7L Hemi for their conversions because used blocks are cheaper & more readily available via junkyards/ebay.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah the crates are overpriced
Better yet
Buy a junkyard 6.1 and do some upgrades to it.
No way to dispute that the new Hemi heads are better. They can flow 370 and make more power than the 360 style heads.
The LX SRT's weigh about the same as the 00Dak and run 13.1 @108 bone stock, mine did.
Now guys are in the 10's and 11's with em and one guy did 9.69 @ 141
DB
Yeah, Chris D. who ran the 9.69, did it with a 6.4 liter stroker. So nothing too obscene. Many 6.1's are running in the 11's NA on the 4200lb car. They are capable engines, and the 2009 heads and VCT technology are awesome for making power.

So as far as engine space, you can take a 5.7 or 6.1 and add H/C and go from there with the power.

·
Registered
333 Posts
what kind of milage are we looking at? improvement or loss?

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
if you can keep your foot out of it a 5.7 will get 10-15% better than a 360.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mileage

what kind of milage are we looking at? improvement or loss?
On my stock Mag SRT I get 21 MPG hwy and 15 around town
The driveline is more efficient and the rear is a 308
Weight is the same but the CD on the Dur/Dak is much higher.

The EGT's by design are much higher on the Hemi for a clean burn
1500 is not unusual, might need a bigger radiator.
Also on the 5.7/6.1 family ALWAYS put in better pistons before dropping in the car. The top ring is very high for a clean burn and that makes for a weak crown. Put in good pistons and you have a hella good base for 800+ HP

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, Chris D. who ran the 9.69, did it with a 6.4 liter stroker. So nothing too obscene. Many 6.1's are running in the 11's NA on the 4200lb car. They are capable engines, and the 2009 heads and VCT technology are awesome for making power.

So as far as engine space, you can take a 5.7 or 6.1 and add H/C and go from there with the power.
That was my initial plan, adding the 6.1 and throwing in a stroker, my 318 is nice but the money to put into it i might as well go bigger motor and go from there.

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
damn....this is making me think my project will be a 6.4 hemi stroker when i fix my other truck....well, maybe in 10 years when i will actually have money for such things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts