Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This odd thing has hap happened to me with my 1999 Dakota. Once I was almost home, and at a red light, when all my dash lights came on (CHECK ENGINE, , etc.) and all my gagues slowly went zero. The enginer was still running fine. I got worried, turned it off. Waited a bit (blocked traffic) and re-started the truck. The first restart I still had no instruments. Turned it off, waited, and tried a second time, and everything worked.

This morning, I started my truck, backed out of the garage, and then noticed that the lights were on, and I had no instruments. I tried turning it off and on 5 times, but still no instruments.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I tried to pull codes, but the odometer doesn't show anything, and the check engine light is on solid.

--
Jeremy
:help:

·
Texas
207 Posts
jking1024 said:
This odd thing has hap happened to me with my 1999 Dakota. Once I was almost home, and at a red light, when all my dash lights came on (CHECK ENGINE, , etc.) and all my gagues slowly went zero. The enginer was still running fine. I got worried, turned it off. Waited a bit (blocked traffic) and re-started the truck. The first restart I still had no instruments. Turned it off, waited, and tried a second time, and everything worked.

This morning, I started my truck, backed out of the garage, and then noticed that the lights were on, and I had no instruments. I tried turning it off and on 5 times, but still no instruments.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I tried to pull codes, but the odometer doesn't show anything, and the check engine light is on solid.

--
Jeremy
:help:
If you can check all the cables and make sure that none have been nicked/cut in some way they might be shorting out? Thats about the only idea i have right now. sorry i cant be more help

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dash lights

I had this very same thing happen with my 2000 ram same exact thing as you, the only thing i did to cure it was I had removed the instrument cluster (take screws out and pull on it) put contact grease on all the terminals and put it back, re connect the battery and fired it up, no more problem and that was over a year ago. check the connection in the junction block under the hood.

Good luck, Rich

·
Registered
46 Posts
when this happens try jiggling the switch key, sometimes the switch can be worn and a little movement of the key will restore the guages.

·
Registered
38 Posts
get the code for the check engine light read and see what that is, i remember when like my speed sensor or one of those sensors went out it threw out all my gauges

1 - 5 of 5 Posts