Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 durango 4.7 slt with 98,000 miles. It runs good but was wondering if anyone experienced a "ticking" or "pinging sound" coming from their engine? Im not sure if it is in the engine, the a/c compressor or what. It also seems to get worse when it gets cold out. I took it to the dealership (since believe it or not it is still under warranty) to see if they knew what was wrong and of course they said nothing was wrong. It's not that big of a problem its just annoying especially when it is cold...it gets really loud. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
315 Posts
I had a simmilar problem. The ticking noise would fade as the engine got hotter. Turned out to be the passenger side exhaust gasket. One dealer said it was fine. Took it to another dealer and they found the problem immeadiately.

· Registered
269 Posts
i had the same with mine, tho mine was i had to replace the timing chains, with the mopar replacement kit, that is suppose to be done at 100,000 on the 4.7 anyway. The camchains expecially with lack or good oil changes are the first thing to go on the 4.7, if their replaced the motor should go 200,000 miles with regurlar oil changes. My cosin also took his motor out with a tick, that was the timing chains. tho if they go on that motor, they take everything out with them.

· Registered
25 Posts
So you are saying a 4.7 is an interference motor????? Meaning if the timing chain goes its time for new everything???? I have seen it hapen in other motors and dont want it to happen to this so I want to find out now just to make sure I keep it in my mind.. Thanks

· just rockin'
404 Posts
jmm756 said:
i had the same with mine, tho mine was i had to replace the timing chains, with the mopar replacement kit, that is suppose to be done at 100,000 on the 4.7 anyway. The camchains expecially with lack or good oil changes are the first thing to go on the 4.7, if their replaced the motor should go 200,000 miles with regurlar oil changes. My cosin also took his motor out with a tick, that was the timing chains. tho if they go on that motor, they take everything out with them.
where can i get the kit, dealer only? edit: i just talked to a local 5 star dealership service manager. he told me that there is no routine maintenance on the timing chains unlike a timing belt which require service intervals. he said timing chains are changed as needed (ticking) and that a chain could last 200K. he told me the cost to change the chains is $1300 - $1600.

· Registered
269 Posts
not sure if it is an interfierence motor, but the timming chain setup if one goes, it will bind with gears and break the front of the block. not cuin pistons rods heads stuff like that. tho you might as well throw the motor away if the timing goes. I replaced mine myself. not to bad of a job if you have a service manual. i think the parts run 370 or close to 400, that dealer is getting a shitload of money for the labor. you need to pull the radiator, not to big of a job on the 4.7. discharge the ac and pull the condensor. then pull parts off the front of the motor, let them hang, and pull the timing cover. only special tool needed is a three jaw puller for the crank balancer. um see if you can get ahold of a service manual and read up on it.

also the dealer is right replace as necessary, tho i have seen multiple motors expecially in the 2000-2001 range be lost do to the camchains. i have a set of 206 cams in mine, so it is interference, dont know if the stock cams would be

· Registered
269 Posts
oh yeah the kit is dealer only. krc performance uses the stock setup also in their high mod motors, things just wear out with time. ps i replaced some gears to that were partially warn

· Registered
2,372 Posts
You dont need to discharge the AC syste, you just take the AC compressor and flip it off to the side.

the ticking can be a couple of things. I had the same thing happen.
Basically could be Valve lifters. they do get stick and then they start clicking cause the cam lobe is hitting them.

timing chain guides. they are plastic and they can break and make that noise

piston slap can sound liek a valve noise also

rod knock but youll know that pretty easy

My truck ended up being the rings on #8 got stuck and the piston started to eat in the cylinder wall. i had to rebuild my motor .020 over.
it cost me 3200$

personally I would wait till somethign takes a crap then just buy a used motor.
there is a guy on here thats selling a used 4.7 with a ridiculously low amount of miles. its either here or on dakota usa.com

First thing to do is isolate where the noise is coming from. i jsut took one of those mechanic stethoscopes and started lisening to everything. The noise was very noticeable when I had my head to the oil pan area.

Rob

· just rockin'
404 Posts
lynn has a 4.7 for sale with less than 800 miles on dakusa.

· Registered
2,372 Posts
cloknem said:
lynn has a 4.7 for sale with less than 800 miles on dakusa.

HHHMMM I think it was someone else. they wanted 3500 I htink. mabey Im thinking someone else

· Registered
2,372 Posts
My ticking ended up being stuck rings on #8 and the piston started to eat in the cylinder wall and making horrendous piston slap. The ticking was barely noticeable when the truck was new. you really had to lisen for it and got louder as time went by but of course everytime it went in the dealer said its normal. At 72000 miles the motor was so loud it sounded like the whole motor was knocking. 3200$ later I had a rebuilt .20 over motor in it.
The oil was changed at 3000 miles. sometimes 3500 but I did maintain it it wasnt abused
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.