Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a rear speed sensor cause my engine to die? I have been having a problem of the engine dropping rpms really low or cutting out all together when coming to a stop. My TPS it at .75 so I dont think it is that and I know the sensor is going bad because I have and ABS and Brake light and Engine light and the speedo is eratic. The code I pull is for a faulty speed sensor. Is this causing the truck to die though? It restarts fine after it dies and only cuts out when I I start to slow down to stop.

truck is a 98 v6 4x4 5 speed

Kevin

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Possible, but I doubt it....what codes to you have? I'm thinking IAC (idle air control) or MAP sensor. The rear speed sensor is actually the speedometer sender in the trans...(at least mine is in my '94, yours may be different) Does speedometer quit also?

Bryan (usually wrong)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible, but I doubt it....what codes to you have? I'm thinking IAC (idle air control) or MAP sensor. The rear speed sensor is actually the speedometer sender in the trans...(at least mine is in my '94, yours may be different) Does speedometer quit also?

Bryan (usually wrong)
on the 98, the sensor is in the rear axle and the tranny only if you have an auto, mines a 5 speed. the code was 4 the rear speed sensor, but it doesn't make sense that could make my engine die.

I cleaned the iac, but I figured it had its own code.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
does it start up fine and idle ok at start-up in the morning, or do you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running then too?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
when my battery was going bad I had probelsm keeping it running in morning, but after I got going it would die at a stop sign too unless I kept my foot on the gas. After a couple of miles when it got charged a little it would be okay. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I replaced the speed sensor ($46 at the stealership) and the truck runs great. The guy at the parts counter said that my pcm was most likely going into limp mode since the sensor was bad and that is why it kept dying. Thanks for the help

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the exact same problem, but my issue didn't resolve after replacing the speed sensor. I am wondering if the sensor was a bad one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 01 3.9 dakota starts easy runs great at first but after trucks gets warm it runs like dipshit and puts off a bad smell and sometimes it kinda sounds like its back firing back up through the intake or something you guys have any idea. Ivw done spent the last 8 monthes trying to figure this out the only thing I have left to do is to replace the exhaust and both got converters and all 4 O2 sensors could that be my problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts