Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needs some ideas. I have a 2000 4wd dakota 4.7. Recently within the last 2 weeks the engine will start fine and then ideal for a few seconds, then the rpm's drop out and it spits and sputters and then dies. Once I restart it, it runs fine. If the engine is warm, I have no problems starting it. The PCV is three months old (just took it off again and cleaned it, as it had some of the filmy residue discussed in previous threads), the plugs I just replaced thinking that would help the problem, but it does not. I am hoping this is not a fuel pump problem. Any ideas would help...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
humm....I would check some stuff with the vacume. For some reason the rpm's will go from like 1100 to like 400 and then back up... a guy at my local shop said that had to do with my vacume... I'm still learning on that... IDK man... It might be your fuel pump... but that would seriously suck considering it's IN THE FUEL TANK... damnit.

Paul

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like a fuel pump prob unfortunately. its like it doesn't quite get enough juice to get started the first time. like it has to be primed.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have thought if it was a pump problem though, it would crank until the pressure got up to fire, but it doesn't do that. It cranks rights up then idles for a few seconds, then drops out. Just yanked the IAT and it was completely gummed up. Got that cleaned and reinstalled. Waiting for the engine to cool to see if this is going to help.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pull your throttle body and clean that out real good.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cleaned the throttle body and it was better this am, but not perfect. RPM's still dropped out, but the truck did not die. The truck just revved and then was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts