Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I just found this web-site devoted to my Durango! OK I have a mystery on my hands that perhaps you guys can help me with. I have an 01' Dodge Durango with the 4.7 engine. About 4 days ago my "engine check light" appeared on my dash panel and dissapeared just yesterday after getting it washed. Anyone have any ideas. I admit I haven't had the chance to look under the hood but I can admit that it seems to run fine. I just had it serviced about 800 miles ago and nothing the dealership told me that was a concern. Currently I have a good 43,000 miles and no problems yet except for this unusual condition.


rimfire,22
 

·
Sideways on Sundays
Joined
·
8,064 Posts
Did you fill up with gas before or after the wash? A loose gas cap is the only thing I can think of that would trigger a check engine light, and then be able to clear itself without a code reader. Just a thought :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blk03rt said:
Did you fill up with gas before or after the wash? A loose gas cap is the only thing I can think of that would trigger a check engine light, and then be able to clear itself without a code reader. Just a thought :huh:

blk03rt,

Thanks for your swift response blk03rt. I did indeed filled the tank after it the light came on. I checked the gas cap and it was on tight so I ruled that out. For some reason it dissapeared after my Durango was washed so this week I'm keeping an eye on the dash panel to see if my gremlin comes back to haunt me. I intend to take it in this coming Satruday anyway for a diagnostic so let's hope it was just a quirk.

rimfire,22 :biggthump
 

·
2000 6.7 R/T
Joined
·
371 Posts
Theres a dirt sensor on your durango and when it gets to much dirt build up on it, it will trigger the light telling you to wash your truck :biggthump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,607 Posts
Geez to tell you the truth I did notice that dirt sensor going off too. Good thing I washed my truck 2 days ago! :jester: :banana2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,185 Posts
The next time you see the check engine light come on, you can check the code yourself (00+ Dakotas/Durangos only).

Turn off the truck. Insert the key into the ignition.

Turn your key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave the key there.

Look down in your odometer window - it will post any engine codes that it recognizes at the time, P####. Each code will be separated by about a 2-3 second pause, and when complete it will say PDONE.

Let us know what code it comes up with and we can work from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SinCity R/T said:
The next time you see the check engine light come on, you can check the code yourself (00+ Dakotas/Durangos only).

Turn off the truck. Insert the key into the ignition.

Turn your key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave the key there.

Look down in your odometer window - it will post any engine codes that it recognizes at the time, P####. Each code will be separated by about a 2-3 second pause, and when complete it will say PDONE.

Let us know what code it comes up with and we can work from there.

SinCity R/T,

Thanks for you posting. WOW! So that's how they do it and would probably charge me 50 bucks or more just to get those codes. I'll do just that and let you know tomottow.

rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's what I got

SinCity R/T said:
The next time you see the check engine light come on, you can check the code yourself (00+ Dakotas/Durangos only).

Turn off the truck. Insert the key into the ignition.

Turn your key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave the key there.

Look down in your odometer window - it will post any engine codes that it recognizes at the time, P####. Each code will be separated by about a 2-3 second pause, and when complete it will say PDONE.

Let us know what code it comes up with and we can work from there.

SinCity R/T,


Here's what I got off my odometer: P0 161

Any ideas as even this morning the light demon hasn't come back on yet.


rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
the losse gas cap would be a good starting point, but sometimes there can be a random misfire that will trip the CEL, but then go away and if the computer does not see it after so many drive cycles it will turn the CEL off, becasue it is not a hard code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MiniMotoRider said:
the losse gas cap would be a good starting point, but sometimes there can be a random misfire that will trip the CEL, but then go away and if the computer does not see it after so many drive cycles it will turn the CEL off, becasue it is not a hard code.

MMR,

Thanks for your posting. This is the first time I've received such a trouble code so I got a little shook-up. I did indeed looked at the gas cap and found it to be tight so I've ruled that out. Since I got this code I'm just waiting for SinCity R/T to tell me if this code P0 161 is bad trouble for me or it's just a random bad signal that just happened like you stated. Or since you said it's not a hard code does this mean I don't have anything to worry about? Let me know.


rimfire,22
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,185 Posts
P0161* 2/2 02 Sensor Heater Failure

I believe that means your passenger side, rearward oxygen sensor is going out. You can either buy one for about $100 from a dealership, or save a few bucks with an alternate model through www.oxygensensors.com. It's probably best if you have an exhaust shop or dealership swap the sensor just so the wires don't get crossed, some nasty things can occur when O2 sensors short out because that voltage line is shared by a lot of other components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
Sincity you are right on the money, if the O2 sensor did not heat right then it would trip a code, but if it is working fine now the light would go out. I think the O2 sensor is on it's way out, I bet the light will start comeing on more and more till it stays on all the time, but i could be wrong. For right now it is not a hard code tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SinCity R/T said:
P0161* 2/2 02 Sensor Heater Failure

I believe that means your passenger side, rearward oxygen sensor is going out. You can either buy one for about $100 from a dealership, or save a few bucks with an alternate model through www.oxygensensors.com. It's probably best if you have an exhaust shop or dealership swap the sensor just so the wires don't get crossed, some nasty things can occur when O2 sensors short out because that voltage line is shared by a lot of other components.

SinCity R/T,

OK then if it's the oxygen sensor that's going out then it's part of the exhaust system? Ala from the engine?. I'd better then take it to the dealership and have them look at it even if it costs me some bucks. Bad timeing on my part for this to fail. It can't be just a fluke?


MMR,


Thanks for your reply. I'll wait and see what happens,



rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
the losse gas cap would be a good starting point, but sometimes there can be a random misfire that will trip the CEL, but then go away and if the computer does not see it after so many drive cycles it will turn the CEL off, becasue it is not a hard code.
The OBDII code are specific as to the exact problem. Sin city gave it to him. That is bad advice to guess items such as the gas cap or misfire.

FYI 99 Durangos can also pull the codes on the odometer. Autozone will read codes for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neil said:
The OBDII code are specific as to the exact problem. Sin city gave it to him. That is bad advice to guess items such as the gas cap or misfire.

FYI 99 Durangos can also pull the codes on the odometer. Autozone will read codes for free.

Neil,

Thanks for your posting. Right now I'll take suggestions as those are better than not getting any at all. Currently the light hasn't come on for about two day so for NOW I won't worry about it until it comes close to the weekend OR it comes back on. For now it's just a gremlin. In addition I don't know/have any Auto Zones in my area. Perhaps PEP BOYS?

rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spider said:
Sounds like a gas cap to me this just happened to me last week.

Spider,

For now I'm not ruling out anything but I'm pretty sure the cap was on tight.
Until the weekend comes I'll be observing the dash panel for the gremlin that's been haunting me badly. My Durango has to last me for at least another 4 years so I wanna take good care of it.

rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
The next time you see the check engine light come on, you can check the code yourself (00+ Dakotas/Durangos only).

Turn off the truck. Insert the key into the ignition.

Turn your key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave the key there.
For any of you pre-'00 owners out there (at least '94-'96 Gen II) who are following this thread, you can also check your own codes using this method, but you have to count the flashes of the "Check Engine" light. It will give 8 flashes followed by a pause and then 8 more (Code 88) to show that the test is starting. Then, any stored trouble codes will be flashed in the same way, such as 1 pause 1 is a code 11.

The difficulty is, finding an accurate list of what each code means. Manuals such as Haynes seem to try to cover all models with one list of codes, and they are not always correct. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
Neil said:
The OBDII code are specific as to the exact problem. Sin city gave it to him. That is bad advice to guess items such as the gas cap or misfire.

FYI 99 Durangos can also pull the codes on the odometer. Autozone will read codes for free.
Well it was not a guess it was a fact, sincity did state what the code meant, but, Like I said if the CEL does not stay on it is not a hard code. So don't go putting your 2 cents in when you don't know what you talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Guys,

I'm not worrying about it as I just got into the office and once again during my morning commute the "engine check" light didn't come on. This now make 4 days that it's been showing the exact opposite one week ago when I noticed that it was on. :clap2: I'm now wondering if I should just skip the dealership this weekend and enjoy the weekend instead of reading lousey magazines in the waiting room? What you guys think? OR should I take it in and have them look into it?

rimfire,22
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top