Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC hasnt worked for as long as i cant remember, actually since before my dad gave me the truck. I dont like AC anyway, makes my eyes feel funny. Anyway, i just wanna take it all out, what do i have to do to be able to take out anything AC related, like the compressor, condensor, all the hoses and crap? Any idea has anyone even done this before?

·
Your hero
438 Posts
Yea, just go to the auto parts store and tell them you need a belt for your truck.. just the non a/c model. Everything should unbolt and since it doesnt even work it probably doesnt need to be discharged. That compressor weighs a good bit too.. decent weight reduction :D

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Make sure your nice to the components when you remove them. Things like the condensor core and the evap core can be sold for some decent money on Ebay n such. (Provided they are in good shape) removing them will DEFINATLY clean up under your hood. There are like three big hoses that just kinda lie(?) over your motor, UGLY...

Question: Do you ever want to bag your truck? You can convert the compressor to a standard "airpump" and use it to fill your bags (Just a thought) :biggthump

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MeanThree18 said:
Make sure your nice to the components when you remove them. Things like the condensor core and the evap core can be sold for some decent money on Ebay n such. (Provided they are in good shape) removing them will DEFINATLY clean up under your hood. There are like three big hoses that just kinda lie(?) over your motor, UGLY...

Question: Do you ever want to bag your truck? You can convert the compressor to a standard "airpump" and use it to fill your bags (Just a thought) :biggthump
Cool beans, im not big on the "baggin" stuff. Ive never ridden in a car or truck thats been bagged so i dont know how it drives. I want my truck to handle good. So i can sell the parts on Ebay! FRIGGEN AWESOME! I just dont know what all is AC stuff and what isnt.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i was looking at this some more and im kind scared im going to take something off i still need. Do i have to take the radiator off to get the condenser off? Can i just take anything off thats conected to the compressor? What about the hoses and lines that run into the firewall? Anymore input would be really helpfull. Anyone who gives me good info can have something from my AC stuff if they want it!!! :biggthump

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damnit, someone tell me something! Lie to me, just tell me to "rip it all out" and ill do it. Some one has to know something about this crap. :cussing: :rant: :cussing: :rant: :cussing: :rant:

·
Registered
285 Posts
DownBoi said:
Damnit, someone tell me something! Lie to me, just tell me to "rip it all out" and ill do it. Some one has to know something about this crap. :cussing: :rant: :cussing: :rant: :cussing: :rant:
LOL........from what I understand you can simply unbolt it all out. The compressor is basically bolted on a bracket. Take off the belt, unhook all the A/C hoses, unbolt the condensor and the compressor.....throw on a shorter belt, and it should be it.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? So if i just tell them i need one for W/O AC itll be too short? Good thing i havent bought one yet. But how is the one for no AC too short? Is the bracket different for a truck that actually didnt come with AC?

·
3,871 Posts
i tried the belt length at autozone last week w/o a/c, i figured i could just slip on a belt and bypass the a/c pulley, nooope. seems that there is a different pulley setup for a non a/c motor, and the extra 1" or 1 1/2" i need they didnt carry that, w/o a/c was like 86 1/2", w/ ac is like 97" or so.

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
That's odd. The belt routing guide on my 92 shows that it just bypasses the AC pulley if you don't have it. I know on my 95 I had a no AC belt for the strip (save that extra .5 HP ya know!) Maybe the later (Gen3) are different. Very interesting...

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dont know why the Gen IIIs are different when the engines are the EXACT same, although maybe the accessories bracket on the front is different. Well maybe ill just have to find out myself.

·
Not fast enough!
107 Posts
I did mine about 6 months ago. I went to Pepboys and got a Dynaflex , Part # 895K7 belt for mine.

The length is 89.5 inches if you feel the need to run a different brand of Belt!

:biggthump

BTW it is alot easier if you disconnect your upper radiator hose. It can squeeze underneath it but its really tight. Good Luck!

·
3,871 Posts
it is pretty easy for seeing i have no fan shroud to change my belts, also im not sayin you cant get a size of belt to do that, autozone is the only place ive been to so far and had time to do, but thanx on the info on the place to check, can you tell a difference in power by just bypassing the a/c pulley? heres a question, im not sure how the a/c really works or heat but if you tried this would you still have heat, seeing common sense no a/c.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont know if i dont understand either of u because im super tired and my stupid landlord keeps waking me up or because im just stupid. If u by pass the Compressor, u shouldnt really feel a HP increase, the pully on that thing will turn if u blow on it hard enough. Of course if u bypass it u wont have AC no more. You will still have ur heater because ur heater works off of coolant pumped through a core and a fan blowing the heat off of it into ur cab. As far as the belt goes, i think im just gonna go to O Reillys or Autozone and act like a brainless retard and let them figure out the length :biggthump

·
Not fast enough!
107 Posts
Dude check out my post. Its a 89.5 inch belt!!!!

Your not gonna feel a performance difference.

What I did is now that I have no A/C is basically use my AC controls like a switch for my e-fan. I removed the clutch fan this weekend since the weather is cooling off. The e fan has only kicked on once since Ive had the clutch fan off and that was from sittin in traffic for 20 minutes.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok i saw ur post :biggthump Mine doesnt have an electric fan for the condensor. But im gonna get an electric fan to replace the clutch fan.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.