Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, when I bought my 2000 Dakota, I noticed the electric engine fan didn't work at all. Found that the relay had gotten hot enough to melt around the connections, same with the power center where it plugged in. Cleaned the connections the best I could and replaced the relay, fan worked as It should. Noticed back then that the relay would get hot. Recently the relay got hot enough to melt again, replaced, but still gets too hot. Searched for an answer here, but found nothing. Anyone have similar problem that was resolved? Also the engine computer went out around the same time, had to have my Dakota towed home. One of the pins got hot enough to lose connection with computer and came out with the plug. Don't know if they are related, but possibly are?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,441 Posts
I'd expect that the fan motor is going bad pulling excessive current.

I'd replace the electric fan motor also at this time (may need to replace the whole assembly; I don't own a 2000 Dakota, don't know for sure what the parts status is).

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RalphP, Thanks for your answer. I would have thought that since this has been going on for years, the fan motor would have quit long ago if it was going bad. I should probably spend on time trying to figure out if the fan is the problem. I was hoping that maybe this was a more common problem with Dakotas, and someone had first hand experience with it

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Before i upgraded to an aftermarket Efan, i recall having issues with relays getting extremely hot.
My Aux fan died a couple of times on really hot days and the culprit was always the relay. I replaced them a couple of
times before going aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts