Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the old ones, but problem is they are all old, mostly 2-3 years. So If I could find a taurus or markVIII fan at pick-n-pull that'd be the cheapest. I've read conflicting comments about using the flex a lite controller that it pulls too many amps. New alt is not a choice for this, and I don't want any switches, just a simple install and it works. I don't want to think about it any more once it's in. Needs to be cheap also.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The controller does not dictate the amp useage...the fan does.

The FAL controller is a great idea because it starts the fan softly rather than pulling the full juice all at once. I really should upgrade to one...but I'm trying to be a tightwad with the truck as I've got bigger fish to fry.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
I'm using the Flex-a-lite 31149 on both my trucks. I removed the Flex-a-lite 398 fan from my '01 RT and installed it on my '00 V6 DD because it would fit under the fan shourd and installed a Mark VIII that I've had laying around for over a year on my RT. The 31149 controller has been on the RT for over 6 years now and still works like a dream and has never let me down even in 100* outside temps and the AC going full blast. It's a damn good controller! :mullet:

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
I wanted to be certain it would work to my liking!
Did your stock E-Fan work? Then it would work with the SCT, that simple. There is not need for any controllers anymore. Hell my Viper fan is controlled by the PCM. Granted its only a 1 speed now, but that is all it needs.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why use that when the SCT can now control when the fan comes on? Easier than wiring everything up. Can have a summer(lower) and winter setting(higher). Or just compromise and have one setting.
ooh, tell me more. My SCT will be here next week, It's super cold right now, so I could probably just remove the clutch fan when the new engine is going in and get the new efan set up before it warms up.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
ooh, tell me more. My SCT will be here next week, It's super cold right now, so I could probably just remove the clutch fan when the new engine is going in and get the new efan set up before it warms up.
You don't have an E-fan stock right? That might be the issue for your year and down. Sorry I got your hopes up. With the 2000's and up they have a stock e-fan and the SCT can control what temp it turns on and goes off at. Not to specific on the new wiring required but I think its just an upgraded relay for the fan for the increased load. Chris at PIE rewired it from the old socaldakota wiring and it works perfect.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
That's odd I tried the 398 on my 6'er and it would not do the job. I switched to the 180 and she runs very cool. I have a sheet of decrative sheet metal with aprox 5/16 holes in it to dress up the air cond condensor when the hoods up, if i remember correctly the flow is reduced by 40%. I thought that was the cause and removed it, but no dice. Swapped the fan for the 180 and it worked great. The 180 has higher cfm and a covers a larger area with a nice rubber gasket.

I'm running a thermo or a sct.... I did have to get a heavy duty relay though. The ones found at the auto stores where burning out. I believe this one is 70 amps.

Coop

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's odd I tried the 398 on my 6'er and it would not do the job. I switched to the 180 and she runs very cool. I have a sheet of decrative sheet metal with aprox 5/16 holes in it to dress up the air cond condensor when the hoods up, if i remember correctly the flow is reduced by 40%. I thought that was the cause and removed it, but no dice. Swapped the fan for the 180 and it worked great. The 180 has higher cfm and a covers a larger area with a nice rubber gasket.

I'm running a thermo or a sct.... I did have to get a heavy duty relay though. The ones found at the auto stores where burning out. I believe this one is 70 amps.

Coop
You lost me, what's the 180?

B

·
0 Posts

Coop
My 5.9 RT never went over 200* with the 398 fan and I expect it'll do just fine on my V6 after the weather heats up. Been doing great so far but the proof is during the hot days so we'll see.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
I have a 03' and has the electric fan. So taking off the clutch fan would be fine just running the stock e-fan? Or should you get a aftermarket just to be on the safe side?

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
I have a 03' and has the electric fan. So taking off the clutch fan would be fine just running the stock e-fan? Or should you get a aftermarket just to be on the safe side?
Do you tow? Do you drive in a lot of traffic? If not you should be ok, but need to get the fan to turn on much sooner. Maybe 190-195. To be safe I would get a bigger fan.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
another one of my reason's for the flex-a-lite temp control :huh: install
Again, you can install the aftermarket fan and control it with the factory PCM. You can tell the tuner what temp you want it to come one. My truck has it come on at about 180, but I am running something completely different from what other people run. When and if he gets SCT he can tell the tuner what temp he wants it to come one. Hence no need for an aftermarket controller.

Does it make sense now?

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
Do you tow? Do you drive in a lot of traffic? If not you should be ok, but need to get the fan to turn on much sooner. Maybe 190-195. To be safe I would get a bigger fan.
No towing. Other than the occasional few people. And maybe a tiny bit of junk. And since I moved out of Northern Virginia, no traffic. What temp does the fan turn on now? But also, I run the AC a lot, I heard whenever you turn on the AC to high the fan turns on? Is this true?

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
No towing. Other than the occasional few people. And maybe a tiny bit of junk. And since I moved out of Northern Virginia, no traffic. What temp does the fan turn on now? But also, I run the AC a lot, I heard whenever you turn on the AC to high the fan turns on? Is this true?
Right now it supposed to turn on at 210. Yes should turn on with the a/c. You should get away with the stock efan if you don't do anything crazy.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Weird.....wonder if my 398 was defective. I thought the air it moved was terrible. Well if it works on your v8.....it'll certianly work on your 6'er. The difference in air movement ....cfm between the 398 and the 180 was huge

Coop

1 - 20 of 49 Posts