Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this in one of the mopar mags but cant find it anywhere and i totally forgot about it.

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Ive got pretty much a stock 318 cept i got a eddy air intake and headers (which are cracked so im taking off), and mopar performance valve covers.

Will that eddy fit? or is the m1 that much better, i see that almost every one is rocking on, goota replace my manifold i got a huge vac leak. and no i dont want to change the belly pan lol. I also got one of dwights Tbs im goona throw on there...2bbl of course.

need some advise.

Or if you know a better one thats in the price range of 200-350$.

:bow:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Link doesnt work

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also.... and I think your referring to the Carb version of the Air Gap and the M1...if your using a TB you need to get the EFI version of those. One is made by Hughes(air gap) and the other is an EFI version of the M1 either in 4bbl(get adapter) or the 2bbl version.

Either way expect to fork out some cash unless you can find a good used one around.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't tell what your asking,but the M-1 is not a good intake and most trucks will be quicker with a rpm intake. No they won't admit it.

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
I can't tell what your asking,but the M-1 is not a good intake and most trucks will be quicker with a rpm intake. No they won't admit it.
Show me bona fide proof that a truck will run quicker with the RPM vs the M1.

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
i have a m-1 2bbl and i seriously doubt my truck could run any better with an airgap. honestly, IIRC, they flow about the same, with the m-1 having better flow up top and the airgap more bottom end flow. pretty sure i read that in a review on here once. either way, i'm not forking over the cash to test the theories.

edit: by the way, saying it isnt a good intake is not just incorrect, but down right ignorant. i dont claim to know exact flow numbers for either intake, but i wont revert to saying the airgap isnt a good intake either. they have strong and weak areas just like any other part out there ever made. the m-1 is tried and true...i have not seen nearly as much credit for the airgap.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
not much diff in the perf gains... get which ever one ya can afford. just be sure its EFI and not carbed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow,Did my reponse get them buzzing! LOL Most of you really crack me up,flow this vs flow that,yaddayadda. I've tested many combos at the track with both the M-1,airgap,victor340 and super victor as well as others. In a 3050lb street/strip mild build the M-1 is just not very impressive,then you want to add 1000lbs to the picture,tight converters.etc!I'm not saying the airgap is the best think made,don't get that wrong,but as mild as
MOST of the combos on this and other Dakota boards are,I'd give the airgap a great chance at killing the M-1. If your happy with the performance thats all that matters at the end of the day,but if you don't test other combos you'll really never know what works. Have a great day.

·
Back in black
18,381 Posts
Wow,Did my reponse get them buzzing! LOL Most of you really crack me up,flow this vs flow that,yaddayadda. I've tested many combos at the track with both the M-1,airgap,victor340 and super victor as well as others. In a 3050lb street/strip mild build the M-1 is just not very impressive,then you want to add 1000lbs to the picture,tight converters.etc!I'm not saying the airgap is the best think made,don't get that wrong,but as mild as
MOST of the combos on this and other Dakota boards are,I'd give the airgap a great chance at killing the M-1. If your happy with the performance thats all that matters at the end of the day,but if you don't test other combos you'll really never know what works. Have a great day.
Do you have any real world numbers to compare (timeslips, dyno numbers etc)? Im not doubting you at all, just that I can honestly say this is the first I've heard anybody claim the Air Gap is better than the M1. Itd be nice to have some actual numbers to prove whether its true or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I ran a 10.96 all motor with an air gap. It probably is the best strret/strip intake out there. You can google air gap vs Victor jr and get a ton of dyno info from SBF and SBC stuff. From what I've seen from most of these dynos is that the airgap is far superior up to 5000 RPM then the single takes over with modest increases after that. Some motors it's 5-10HP, more radical motors, of course, show more. IMO, it depends on how radical the motor is and the gearing and stall. To beat the air gap, you have to have a SERIOUS motor.
I'm going to a ported single M1 this year because of my compression bump and 4600 stall. It also must be noted that these( and mine) are carbed and thus wet manifolds. I'm also using a single plane because the bottle is going back on.
Tom

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the m1 is best for stock motors and the air gap for worked motors?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you have any real world numbers to compare (timeslips, dyno numbers etc)? Im not doubting you at all, just that I can honestly say this is the first I've heard anybody claim the Air Gap is better than the M1. Itd be nice to have some actual numbers to prove whether its true or not.
An intake like everything else is chosen based on the entire combo,I'm not saying the M-1 cannot perform well in the right combo. Got It? On a mild 11.80's combo the rpm was .2 quicker than the M-1 intake. On a mid 10 second combo the Super Victor was nearly .2 better. The first combo didn't have enough converter(3000 stall) but when a 5000 stall converter was installed the M-1 ran as well as the RPM intake with less converter. The second combo had 3 different manifolds tested and the M-1 simply did not equal the Super Victor or the old Victor 340. There are still lot's of details that I haven't disclosed and maybe you don't know what questions to even ask,but I'll state again,for most mild builds with a heavy truck and not enough converter,head,rpm etc. The Rpm is very tough to beat. It's not the best choice for everyone.

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An intake like everything else is chosen based on the entire combo,I'm not saying the M-1 cannot perform well in the right combo. Got It? On a mild 11.80's combo the rpm was .2 quicker than the M-1 intake. On a mid 10 second combo the Super Victor was nearly .2 better. The first combo didn't have enough converter(3000 stall) but when a 5000 stall converter was installed the M-1 ran as well as the RPM intake with less converter. The second combo had 3 different manifolds tested and the M-1 simply did not equal the Super Victor or the old Victor 340. There are still lot's of details that I haven't disclosed and maybe you don't know what questions to even ask,but I'll state again,for most mild builds with a heavy truck and not enough converter,head,rpm etc. The Rpm is very tough to beat. It's not the best choice for everyone.

Well ive got pretty much a stock 318 what manifold would you sugest for my truck.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
Well ive got pretty much a stock 318 what manifold would you sugest for my truck.
You've basically got two choices a Mopar M1 ($580 range IIRC) and the Hughes specific Edelbrock Intake manifold($600). The M1 was the only thing available until just recently in an MPI and is probably a big reason they are so popular. I have an M1 and it was a good seat of the pants improvement over the stock one but I had done most of the other stuff first I can't say I would see it helping out a stock 318 that much it would probably hurt bottom end more than it's worth up top. The hughes intake looks to gimmicky and cobbled for me it's an intake that was designed to work wet converted over to dry with a chunk of aluminum stuck on top:huh:. I have not run a hughes intake and from all the negative feedback I have heard about the company(on here and from local people) I would afraid to deal with them.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Here is a question, you are carbed right?

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
I'm carbed on some combos,others I use aftermarket efi. There are some great programs available to help in manifold design,I'm modifying a tunnel ram to EFI as it's much closer to the specs I want and easy to modify.
That is the difference between what you are running and what almost EVERYONE here is running. Aftermarket EFI is 8 injectors? Or TB injection? The newer stuff works better with the M1 because of the design. The Hughes was desiged to be a carb intake and just adapted to a FI engine. No real design involved except making it work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is the difference between what you are running and what almost EVERYONE here is running. Aftermarket EFI is 8 injectors? Or TB injection? The newer stuff works better with the M1 because of the design. The Hughes was desiged to be a carb intake and just adapted to a FI engine. No real design involved except making it work.
Most EFI intakes were originally carb intakes,modified to accept injectors,but unless you can build your own manifold,or have Wilson do it for you it's not an issue to run EFI on a carb manifold,happens every day. I assume the M-1 your refering is the 2bbl version? I'm thinking of the 4bbl version and as you know it is availible in both flavors,EFI or carb if you like,but I can't find any differences in the 2. I run MPFI or a carb and haven't tried TBI,although I have thought to try it I cannot justify the change.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A friend of mine has done thousands of conversion manifolds from street to pro mod setups. Check out his site hotrodsolutions.net Call Kevin if you need anything converted. Yep,most were carb manifolds.LOL

1 - 20 of 100 Posts