Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i took off the chrome wheelskins because in the morning i'm taking the dak in for the 30k service. and each center cap was loose enough to pick out with my (brittle and easily chipped) fingernails. prolly would have lost them long ago if it weren't for the wheelskins... my stock rims are the 16x8, so who else has lost their center caps?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I have yet to hear any problems about the center caps on the 16x8 wheels. I have on the other hand, heard a problem about the center caps on the 15x8 wheels coming on during driving and turning.

I would think that yours being an 03 it wouldn't have any problems at all.... as compared to an 01 or 02.

Paul

·
Sideways on Sundays
984 Posts
I've lost 3 on my 17" R/T wheels :cussing: The stockers are junk, but of course the factory replacements from the stealership @ $40 bucks a piece work great, and wont come off without a 2 foot crow bar. :bs2:

·
Registered
358 Posts
The chrome part of my lug nuts tend to enjoy coming off when I get tire rotations done, so I cold weld the fuckers back on, noow I think I have all of 2 of 24 that aren't cold welded :biggthump

I have no center caps...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have seen so many 16x8 missing the little center caps. I have not lost any yet, but they are geting looser.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice to know I am not the only one. I have the 15" dakota wheel and I have lost 2 center caps now. The stealership wants $20 a piece for these plastic things. Last time I found a used one at a junkyard and paid $5. This time I ordered 4 of them off ebay for $35. (spares!)

I am hoping the wheel skins stop this.

·
14 Second Club
262 Posts
I have lost one before, but I think it was my own fault. I had just gotten done doing a brake fluid flush and must have not put it on just right.

·
3,871 Posts
i have 15s but since dec of 02 i have lost 4, and like said they are not cheap :rant: :rant: last one i bought was 18.??, they pop in hard and snug but over time get loose and fall out on me goin doin the road. the next one that comes off im gonna superglue that :redx: on this is :bs2: and about the lug nuts, most of all the caps broke off so i went and bought some 1/2" 20mm chrome lugs, and they look better. alot cheaper then the factory.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I mysteriously lost one of my center caps one day. I quickly ordered a full set of new ones on ebay. One cap was pretty much the same price :cussing: . And strangely 6 or 7 months later the lost one showed up on my doorstep. Did somebody borrow it for a while? Fucking weird! Oh mine are on pretty tight and I am not worried about them falling off unless some asshole losses his and takes them off my truck!

·
Trailer Trash
474 Posts
GOON'S D said:
I mysteriously lost one of my center caps one day. I quickly ordered a full set of new ones on ebay. One cap was pretty much the same price :cussing: . And strangely 6 or 7 months later the lost one showed up on my doorstep. Did somebody borrow it for a while? Fucking weird! Oh mine are on pretty tight and I am not worried about them falling off unless some asshole losses his and takes them off my truck!
funny you should say that.... i noticed one of mine in the back of my truck at the walmart parking lot. i dunno if it fell off right there, or maybe it fell off somewhere else that someone tossed in the back. either way, i almost wanted to silicone mine in, but i put it off when i put the snow tires back on, and gradually lost one, then another. I looked into those wheels skins to cover the losses up, but wouldnt ya know it, the skins dont cover that center cap!!!! Now what the fuck good is a wheel skin that doesnt cover up the whol goddamn wheel?!?!?!! :cussing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
PhL0aTeR - my understanding is the wheel skins don't completely cover up the center cap but they do catch the sides so the caps won't fall off.

I ordered some wheel skins last week and will let you know if I am correct on my assumption when I get them and put them on.

·
Trailer Trash
474 Posts
duketter said:
PhL0aTeR - my understanding is the wheel skins don't completely cover up the center cap but they do catch the sides so the caps won't fall off.

I ordered some wheel skins last week and will let you know if I am correct on my assumption when I get them and put them on.
eh, dont worry bout it.... i just gave my last 2 caps to a fellow member so i dont have to worry about losing them!!!!!

i basically wanted to put the skins on instead of purchasing new ones, but i did hear that they catch the sides.... just dont know what good it is having the center blank like that, just makes no sence to me?

·
El Cid
20 Posts
Ok, which one of you lost your center cap and took mine? It was on there yesterday morning, and sure enough, come out today for work and the summumabeach is gone. Guess its time to get some new wheels huh....that'll be a cheap fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.