Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the middle knob in the 97-00 trucks that selects the vents and A/C, does "OFF" turn the fan off? I swear it used to on my truck, now it doesn't anymore. The blower motor keeps running. I went to the auto wreckers today and scooped another temperature control unit, installed it and it does the same thing...:huh:

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
no, I don't think it does turn the fan off...if you could post a pic of yer controls, that would help me....I can't remember exactly what it looks like

Bryan

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Just grabbed that pic off of google. I really thought "OFF" turned the fan off too... I supposed it is possible, I may be going crazy...

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i just tried it on my 2000 durango and it shuts the blower off, no fan or air coming out when it is off
Thank you, guess I'm not crazy. The one I just grabbed at the wrecker's and put in my truck came out of a 2000 Durango, and it's identical in every way I can see to my Dakota's. I'm going to open my Dakota one up and see if I can find out what's up.

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
On my '02, the fan speed dial controls the on/off function for the whole HVAC. I know the 00s' interior appontments differ from the '02s but I wouldn't think they changed that.

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
I probably would ... besides, now that I look more closely at the OP's picture, it's pretty clear that there's no "off" position on the fan speed dial. So I'm wrong. Go figure. Maybe try the blower motor resistor?

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened up my controls. In the "OFF" position on the slip ring that powers the fan is a plastic nub that pops the spring loaded rotor off of the ring. Everything appeared to be okay. Right now I am thinking the grease was contaminated with copper from all the years of use. I wiped all the green grease out and put new dielectric grease in.

I'll try my original one out again tomorrow to see if this cures the problem. My truck only has about 120k miles on it. The panel I got at the junkyard came out of a Durango with 220k miles on it, so maybe this is a common problem since it does the exact same thing.

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put it in, same deal. I tested it beforehand, according to my multi meter it is off when switched to off, but this is not the case when it's in my truck. This is due to my own stupidity now I'm sure and directly related to my rad fan wiring I just finished. I don't have a diode on the high pressure switch wire I spliced to supply ground to my low speed relay to kick the rad fan on when A/C is on... which is full time grounded at the moment and apparently grounding the hvac controls.:forehead:

I'll keep you guys posted on what I find. Thanks for the help so far. Live and learn I guess...

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
ah...so the truth comes out....you changed things and didn't tell us....

take out what you put in and see if heater controls work as they should

Bryan

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah...so the truth comes out....you changed things and didn't tell us....

take out what you put in and see if heater controls work as they should

Bryan
Sorry to string you guys along, things seemed fine when I originally tested it all out. That's what threw me for a loop. My wiring is what the problem was, I cut that wire and everything started working as it should. So I went ahead and installed a diode. All is good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts