Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My durango wont start, its 20 degrees out, It will only turn over. i filled it up the day before and i didnt drive it yesterday and its been snowing all day. She will will crank but no fire, i pounded the gasket tank with a rubber mallet thinking it could be the fuel pump, i didnt try listening to see if it turns on when i turn the key on. but she coughs alittle after i stop cranking it, and it did that a few times after hitting the gas tank. idk grrrrr

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok its not the fuel pump, its running good. And now when its starting up its cranking over and coughing everything. Im using the remote starter and trying with the key. can you use eather for these motors?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just had the same problem with my Dakota, granted it was -20 overnight. I plugged it in for about an hour and a half and it started right up, idled like crap for several seconds and came back to normal. I have always been under the impression that you aren't supposed to use eather on a gas engine, maybe someone else will know more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i used to have a beat up '85 ramcharger with the 318 i used it as a field bomber and whenever it wouldnt start i'd put the eather right to her, and she would always fire up and sometimes she would catch fire lol. well anywyas i'm hoping its the battery, or just gas in the fuel lines. i pushed it in my garage and cranked it up to 80 and let it sit all day and i put the battery charger on it and im gonna let it sit allnight charging. The terminals were a bit dirty and coroded, and the positive terminal was loose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The condition of your battery terminals leads me to believe that is 90% of your problem. Get them cleaned and tightened up and it will probably start.

Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^agreed. I was getting ready to put the terminals back onto the battery posts and i tighten the postive terminal as much as i could and the terminal would just slip off soo i need to buy some new terminals today. Hopefully that will fix the problem. and i hope i didn't spray too much eather in the tb cause everyone is telling me its a no no.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
^agreed. I was getting ready to put the terminals back onto the battery posts and i tighten the postive terminal as much as i could and the terminal would just slip off soo i need to buy some new terminals today. Hopefully that will fix the problem. and i hope i didn't spray too much eather in the tb cause everyone is telling me its a no no.
I don't believe you need to buy new terminals. You just get a wirebrush and some battery terminal cleaner and go to town. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are cheap and the positive terminal wont tighten and i tried cleaning it, cleaning the thread soo im just gonna replace the terminals no biggy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't worry too much about the ether. It evaporates really fast. I use it on gas engines all the time. Never had a problem from using it.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts