Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has purchased a 2000 Durango SLT with the 4.7 V8 and 4WD. Since I recently sold my truck, we will be looking at using her Druango to pull whatever we end up getting for a boat. I have some questions:

1) Hers does not have a hitch on it, was there an optional tow package that added more than just the hitch or will we be fine just installing a hitch on it? In other words, were there other items that came with the hitch from the factory?

2) Her Durango seems to sit lower than others we encounter. Did they offer different suspension packages, or where they all the same?

3) What is the factory tow and GVWR of a 2000 Durango with the 4.7?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple more things I have found out:

1) Looks like the tranny cooler lines run in to the radiator itself, no seperate tranny cooler.

2) We did get the original window sticker with the vehicle and there is nothing listed for rear gears, towing package, or and HD package.

Any input on this stuff?

A

·
0 Posts
check in your glove box , in the bottom there should be sticker with the details, like what ratio of gears it has in the rear end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, found that. And not real happy. According to that, we have 3.55 gears. Also, found out you can go to the dealership with your VIN and they can print off a complete list of all codes and options on the vehicle. Kind of cool.

Anyway, with a 4x4 Durango SLT with 3.55 gears, the owner's manual states a max trailer weight of 4400 pounds. A little under the weight of some of the boats we have been looking at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The numbers I found:Trailer Towing
Engine Axle Ratio Gross Combined Weight Rating (b) Maximum Trailer Weight (c)
2WD
4.7L V-8 3.55 9200 lbs. (4175 kg) 4650 lbs. (2109 kg)
3.92 10,500 lbs. (4775 kg)
5950 lbs. (2699 kg)
5.9L V-8 3.55 10,500 lbs. (4775 kg) 5850 lbs. (2654 kg)
3.92 12,200 lbs. (5530 kg)
7550 lbs. (3425 kg)
4WD
4.7L V-8 3.55 9200 lbs. (4175 kg) 4400 lbs. (1996 kg)
3.92 10,500 lbs. (4775 kg)
5700 lbs. (2586 kg)
5.9L V-8 3.55 10,500 lbs. (4775 kg) 5600 lbs. (2540 kg)
3.92 12,200 lbs. (5530 kg)
7300 lbs. (3311 kg)
(a) Available with ABS.
(b) Gross combined weight rating is the maximum allowable combined weight of loaded vehicle and trailer. It includes the weight of passengers, cargo and fuel in the vehicle and cargo in the trailer.
(c) Maximum Trailer Weight Ratings include cargo and fluids in the trailer and 150 lbs. for the driver and must be decreased by the weight of optional equipment, trailer hitch, cargo, and passengers. Load equalizing hitch recommended for trailers over 2000 lbs.

I would like to know what all come with the TT package as well.

Sorry it's so hard to read, find the link here: http://www.new-cars.com/2002/dodge/dodge-durango-specifications.html#trailer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I have found in the owner's manual, it seems like most of what came with the TT package involved wiring, fuses, and relays. I would also assume it included a tranny cooler as our does not have one.

When I was at the dealership yesterday, they gave me a part number for the trailer wiring harness and connector and one of the Mopar techs stated that is all you should need. The wiring harness will attach to the chasis harness and the 7-pin connector connects to the wiring harness. Then you would probably have to install the couple of relays and fuses that are mentioned in the owner's manual. Then add a good stacked tranny cooler - which is sounds like others are doing any way in place of the factory one.

My other guess on the difference in towing ability between a 4.7 with 3.55 and 3.92 gears would come down to the gears themselves as the lower (higher numerical) gears allow better/more towing ability.

I don't know what if any difference there is from a suspension point of view as the sheets the guy at the dealership gave me for all the codes on our vehicle does show heavy duty suspension with heavy duty shocks and springs. States it right on the print out.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
You should have the suspension like it says... some look a lil lower, and I think that might be the year or something. I personally don't know why it would look low... I'm only guessing on that.

My father has a 2002 4.7L with 3.55's but it's a 2X4. He pulls whatever comes in his way with hardly a sweat.

You WILL need to get a tranny cooler, and a universial one can be found at napa/autozone/etc. for around 40 bucks. Thats how much my father spent on it. Then take that to somewhere to get it installed. Not a whole lot for the install, I can't remember how much. But once you've had this done. get a cold air intake for some better breathing, and you shouldn't have a problem with something over the rating.

That rating is just a suggestion. Granted you shouldn't double the weight or something, but as long as you are reasonably close to it, you shouldn't have a problem. Boats are pretty easy to pull. They are aerodynamic on the highway, so you won't have as much problems as my dad does with his huge trailors he pulls. The most he's pulled with it was a long cow trailor with 10 cows in it. You do the math.

As far as the gears.... getting 3.92's WOULD help you. I'm not sure how much they are, but I do know they are a relatively easy install. if you have the right tools... so on and so forth.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I just noticed you have the 2000 4.7L

The 2000's have a 65 mm Throttle body. They started putting a 68 mm one in 2001. This will also help on performance a lil bit. Mainly top end tho... I'm not sure if that helps or hendurs on the low ends.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts