Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the issue with replacing the Body Controller due to the Durango not starting? 2 weeks ago I started the Durango and shut it off, then when I tried to start it again, the vehicle would not start. The dash lights were on, but it would not turn over. I had it towed to the dealer, and it started, but they said the battery was not charging. They replaced the battery. I drove it for another week to the day, and it happened again. I took it back to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong, so they found a service bulletin for the Body Controller. I have had it back for 4 days and it happened again, except now there is a loud clicking noise when trying to start it from time to time. This only happens when it is not turning over. Does not happen all the time. The dealer said it could not be the starter because it would only click once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Sounds like a starter to me, clicking more than once would indicate that the battery is at a low state of charge........Just once is a starter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello. Thank you for responding. The Durango is a 2000, 4.7L 4x4. The vehicle either is totally dead(including dash and interior lights) except for the clicking, and sometimes dash and interior lights are on and it will make the clicking noise, or it just starts like nothing is wrong. Does not happen all the time, only at the most inconvenient times. Does not click and then start. Very wierd.

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the Alternator is not completely charging the battery all the time. I had a fuel pump in Iraq that did the same thing, as the battery died it wouldn't have enough power for anything and the starter would just click, when we charged the battery it started up fine and ran strong.

Clicking more then once is a sign that it's the battery being at a low charge and not being able to turn the flywheel with the starter gear

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, when we do get it start, it does not hesitate and it is not long between the time it won't start and then we get it to start. A matter of minutes in between trying to start it and when we get it to start. I do see your point. I asked the dealer if it could be the alternator and they said it checked out fine. I have to be honest with you, I am the wife asking these questions because it is my car and I am the one it keeps happening to. I have had my fair share of car trouble over the years, so I have been asking the dealer about the starter, alternator and battery. I am absolutely stumped!!!!

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
if the alternator and battery check out fine than its going to be the starter or "possably" the battery cables.....look for corrosion on the terminals and on the other ends of the block.......hope this helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had something strange and similar with my Jeep a few years ago ... I ended up changing the PCM ... was not even that ... it happened to be one of those square relays in the engine compartment ... I pulled it apart and noticed that the relay had corrosion on the tips ... sanded it down and it was done for ! All fixed ... you might want to check out the relays that are connected to allow for starting ... all part of the ignition section etc ... I do not have the Chrysler bible (I like to call it) for the Durango, but I do for the Jeep with all the wiring diagrams for the ignition ... it helped me out big time !

Where can I get one for the Durango ? Any ideas ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
RT/Ralphis said:
I had something strange and similar with my Jeep a few years ago ... I ended up changing the PCM ... was not even that ... it happened to be one of those square relays in the engine compartment ... I pulled it apart and noticed that the relay had corrosion on the tips ... sanded it down and it was done for ! All fixed ... you might want to check out the relays that are connected to allow for starting ... all part of the ignition section etc ...
I had that same problem too. It wouldn't start up even with the jumper cables hooked to my buddy's truck. I pulled the relay and noticed a layer of rust or something on the blades. Put a sanding bit on the Dremel and went to town on the relay connectors, put it back in and it started right up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dude,

check the box under the hood where all the fuses are ... If you are not sure, I beleive it is near the battery ... all the square fuses should be there ... you should see one for the starting or PCM or something like that .. pull it out, pull it apart and look to see if corrosion is there .... I do not have the engine book with me here .. but I could check at home later .... If I have a chance I will .

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts