Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the issue with replacing the Body Controller due to the Durango not starting? 2 weeks ago I started the Durango and shut it off, then when I tried to start it again, the vehicle would not start. The dash lights were on, but it would not turn over. I had it towed to the dealer, and it started, but they said the battery was not charging. They replaced the battery. I drove it for another week to the day, and it happened again. I took it back to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong, so they found a service bulletin for the Body Controller. I have had it back for 4 days and it happened again, except now there is a loud clicking noise when trying to start it from time to time. This only happens when it is not turning over. Does not happen all the time. The dealer said it could not be the starter because it would only click once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
rogerz said:
Has anyone heard of the issue with replacing the Body Controller due to the Durango not starting? 2 weeks ago I started the Durango and shut it off, then when I tried to start it again, the vehicle would not start. The dash lights were on, but it would not turn over. I had it towed to the dealer, and it started, but they said the battery was not charging. They replaced the battery. I drove it for another week to the day, and it happened again. I took it back to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong, so they found a service bulletin for the Body Controller. I have had it back for 4 days and it happened again, except now there is a loud clicking noise when trying to start it from time to time. This only happens when it is not turning over. Does not happen all the time. The dealer said it could not be the starter because it would only click once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bad starter? the clicking is it a rapid clicking ( clickclickclickclickclick)or just one click and thats all?
Rob

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
what year is your durango?

N

·
0 Posts
Happened to me

The same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. Strangest thing, I drove to work and truck was sitting in parking lot all day. After the day was done, I get in the truck and it's dead. Would not start, and heard heard this strange continuous clicking noise. I got a jump start from somebody and drove off. But all the way home, about 5 miles worth, I couldn't take my foot off the accelerator. I basically had to drive with both feet and constantly had to give it gas or else it would stall out. Once I got in my driveway I shut it off and restarted it, but it stalled out just as fast. Figured I'd worry about it the next day, just too cold and too tired during January here in NY. The next morning she started up right away and the problem never resurfaced again. I'm curious to know what that was all about, but never did get to the bottom of it.

99 DODGE DURANGO
RAY

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
usually the rapid clicling is either a really low battery, or charging system that ran the battery so low it cant start the truck. Ive had NEW Delco batteries installed by the dealer go bad in a week. my wifes GMC went through 4 batteries in a month, till i got tired of having them replace the batteries under warranty so I bought a Interstate and its still in the truck 8 years later. the dealer went through 4 batteries that kept crapping out. and i even told them to see if the alternator is bad and it wasnt
Rob

C

·
0 Posts
I have that symptom now ! Dec 14 2005

rogerz said:
Has anyone heard of the issue with replacing the Body Controller due to the Durango not starting?

I don't know what the fix is. I just got the same symptom. I put the key in, I turn the ignition, the starter makes one short sound. Then I try again, and by miracle it starts. BUT I know there is something wrong. If it is not the starter, then it might be the "relay" to the starter. I have never heard of the body controller. I will call the parts department to learn the price.

Cesar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts