Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to drop the rear of the Durango 1-2 inches, any ideas? I am still debating about the R/T leaf springs because I don't want to really lose any of my towing capacity :help:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had blocks before and I am not crazy about the idea of using them again. Any other ideas?

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
Put some shackles on. It will drop it 1"-2" depending on the setting you pick. The Durango will still ride like stock.

I have pics and info on my site to give you an idea, on how I dropped my Dak 4x4

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You did not say if your's is 4x4 or 4x2. If it is 4x4, you don't have many options. Blocks and crankling the torsion bars is very easy and 1-2" is no problem. I've had 1" DJM steel blocks for four years. Which R/T springs? Durango R/T springs are no lower. There has been a long standing question on several forums if Dak springs fit the Durango. For 4x2s, there are a few kits available.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry I didn't post but it's a 4x2. I was looking at a set of R/T springs from a dakota. Thanks Anthony for the reply I will check your site ;)

Ok mounts are different on the Durango from the Dakota so the shackles will not work. Wouldn't you know it and I had a set from an F-150 I had a few years back that would have probably worked :cussing:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
4x2, then you have a few options but they might drop it too much. Hotchkis is the best by far. Ground force is another and DJM but I cant quantify how good those are. Why not 1" blocks in back and coils from one of the above in front?.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front is done and the rear is the only issue. I have a heavy stereo box in the rear so 1.5"-2" is all I need to go. I have an enclosed trailer that I tow so that was my only concern with the R/T coils. If I could use something with a little bit of adjustment that would be best so I can get it exactly where I want it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the Hotchkis TVS kit on my 01 Durango 2wd & it lowered it 2/3. The handling is great but the rear would bottom out on big dips. On a recent trip up the coast to Morro Bay, I hit a dip on the 101 fwy & my oldest daughter was sleeping in the 3rd row seat & it woke her up very rudely. I have since put a set of super springs on the rear & it raised it up about a inch & it hasn't bottomed out since.
http://www.supersprings.com/

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved. The stock leaf-pack has 5 leafs. I removed the middle one out of each pack and it sits just right now. Handles so much better too. Took it out last night on some windy roads :bow:. No bottoming issues, but if I do I have some helper springs I can throw in there to stiffen it up a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Problem solved. The stock leaf-pack has 5 leafs. I removed the middle one out of each pack and it sits just right now. Handles so much better too. Took it out last night on some windy roads :bow:. No bottoming issues, but if I do I have some helper springs I can throw in there to stiffen it up a little.
:clap2:

How did you do your front? I have a 4.7L 2001 4x2 durango, with 22's. I wish to lower it so that it will look 2/3 lower, the thing is i would prefer changing front spindles.

please advise process.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.