Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
prolly down. but im not sure. have yet to do this and prolly wont.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
so u want a straight pipe? lol. take videos!

but just remember...u remove the cat and ur dur wont meow no more.

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so u want a straight pipe? lol. take videos!

but just remember...u remove the cat and ur dur wont meow no more.
if i do straights i will lol. but i need to know the effects of removing the cat first, cause right now i cant afford any less gas mileage that im getting right now.

and what do you mean by wont meow anymore lol.?

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
ur removing the cat....no cat=no meow..

and the only thing is u might get a CEL for the o2 sensor but i think on the 98-00 u can just ziptie it to the frame.

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ur removing the cat....no cat=no meow..

and the only thing is u might get a CEL for the o2 sensor but i think on the 98-00 u can just ziptie it to the frame.
oh haha what a comedian :funny:

and if i ziptie it thats not gonna get rid of the CEL will it lol.?

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
CEL=check engine light.

only thing i can tell u is to remove it and replace with a pipe and if u get a cel or lowered gas mileage put it back in.

there shouldnt be a CEL as long as u keep the o2 plugged in and not just remove it with the cat.

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CEL=check engine light.

only thing i can tell u is to remove it and replace with a pipe and if u get a cel or lowered gas mileage put it back in.

there shouldnt be a CEL as long as u keep the o2 plugged in and not just remove it with the cat.
shhhh i knew that :rant:

and alright thanks, i wanna keep this a someone costless mod lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
i say keep it on if your already straight pipe all the way back with no muffler, your going to need backpressure. Also It will sound really loud, which may be cool to you at first. But after driving it alot, you may wish you had not touched it. I have no cats on my durango but I have a 28" long magnaflow muffler that quiets it down. I got tired of it being so loud when I had the flowmasters. I also have a cell on with a check engine light. As far as gas mileage go concerned, I did not see any difference.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
i say keep it on if your already straight pipe all the way back with no muffler, your going to need backpressure. Also It will sound really loud, which may be cool to you at first. But after driving it alot, you may wish you had not touched it. I have no cats on my durango but I have a 28" long magnaflow muffler that quiets it down. I got tired of it being so loud when I had the flowmasters. I also have a cell on with a check engine light. As far as gas mileage go concerned, I did not see any difference.
back pressure is a myth. stop believing it!

if you remove the cat, mileage will probably go down, because you're going to have a less restrictive exhaust, which will flow more air out of the engine, allowing more fresh air to flow into the engine, more air means more gas.

Honestly though, just leave it in. catalytic converters these days are not anywhere near as restrictive as the first ones to come out, and even then, the "performance lost" to the cats was not really the cats fault.

in an effort to clean up emissions, automakers did SEVERAL things, they added catalytic converters, they altered the tune on the engine, they lowered the compression ratios, etc. All of these steps helped clean up the exhaust, but ALSO hurt performance...but since you can't SEE an ignition curve, or compression ratio, or cam timing...but you CAN see the catalytic converter that is now on the ehxaust system...what do you think will get all the blame for lower performance?

corvettes, vipers, GTOs, etc. are making 500+ hp, and they have catalytic converters.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
The problem comes when cats get clogged, and they will. I'm redoing my exhaust, build in sig, I'm going to have the exhaust shop mfr from the headers to the flowmasters. Cat in the middle is still up in the air.
true, cats can plug up over time, but really they shouldn't unless you're either burning oil and your exhaust is full of oil smoke, or if your tune is excessively rich. a slightly lean, and very hot exhaust will burn that crap out and keep the cat clean.

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
I had one on my 00 rango 5.9. It didnt really effect anything when i took it off just a HELL of a lot louder.

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
so with a 5.2 it would probably be even louder right lol
yeah, i mean i have set off two car alarms already just starting my truck, don't do it. i really did think it was cool at first, now it pisses me off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts