Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1999 Dodge Durango from its prior abusive and neglectful owners. Have done alot of work to get vehicle up to par and it seems to know when I get paid! Had to go out of town on business for 6 days. Just went to get my paycheck and she fired right up. Backed out of the garage and shut it off to get mail. Went to resart and acted like running out of gas. Put five gallons in just in case the angle of driveway was not letting it get fuel. Wasnt the problem. It is not getting fuel but can hear pump run when ignition switch turned on. Checked fuses and relays which appear to be ok. Removed relay and could hear pump or something cycling. Hoping someone would have some ideas or insight on problem. Hoping to avoid dropping fuel tank! Can pour gas into throttle body and she tries to run. Was reading some forums and looks like could be several things. Dont have a mutimeter to check voltages. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,204 Posts
Recently purchased a 1999 Dodge Durango from its prior abusive and neglectful owners. Have done alot of work to get vehicle up to par and it seems to know when I get paid! Had to go out of town on business for 6 days. Just went to get my paycheck and she fired right up. Backed out of the garage and shut it off to get mail. Went to resart and acted like running out of gas. Put five gallons in just in case the angle of driveway was not letting it get fuel. Wasnt the problem. It is not getting fuel but can hear pump run when ignition switch turned on. Checked fuses and relays which appear to be ok. Removed relay and could hear pump or something cycling. Hoping someone would have some ideas or insight on problem. Hoping to avoid dropping fuel tank! Can pour gas into throttle body and she tries to run. Was reading some forums and looks like could be several things. Dont have a mutimeter to check voltages. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I wouldn't try that trick again, you could end up with a nice little explosion and fire. The OE intake does not have a direct shot from the throttle body to the intake ports on the heads, there is an open plenum. The fuel is puddling on the "belly pan", if it would happen to backfire, you will have a nice fire going inside the intake.

·
9,489 Posts
Yeah for future reference you use starting fluid (ether) to do that test. It could still backfire on you but it doesn't puddle so there wouldn't be a fire.

First thing you need to do is get yourself a multimeter. You cant eyeball relays and fuses and say they "look good", they need to be tested. Doesn't need to be fancy, the one in the $10 or less bin at Autozone is fine.

The fact that it stumbled when you put the gas in the intake says it is getting spark. Since the coil and fuel injectors run off the same feed (ASD Relay), it is a safe assumption that it is a fuel pressure issue. Given the absence of a meter, swap the fuel pump relay for the fog light or trailer relay just to rule that out. Unless you have your ear to the gas tank, you really shouldn't be able to hear the fuel pump running - if you can it usually indicates the need for replacement. The "buzz-click" you hear when you turn the key on is the IAC motor closing.

Unfortunately if swapping the relay doesn't help, you're going to have to drop the tank. Either the pump itself is shot, the filter is completely clogged, or the plastic tubing in the pump/pickup module has blown out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts