Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Too close for missles!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to upgrade my exhaust a little bit on my 01 v6. Ill be throwing on a set of headers, and adding a new ypipe and high flow cats with my already existing turbo muffler. I would like to dump it after the cab, and right before the bed. however there's 2 things Im worried about right now...

1. is it going to be abnoxiously loud? I want a nice grumble but I dont want a headache inside my cab either

2. I currently have a body lift, so since the exhaust is going to have to come out below the frame, is it going to look like ass having such a large gap between the exhaust and the body? is there any type of angle pipe I could use to fix this?

heres a pic of something similar to what I would want...
(this is on a newer tacoma...)

any help is appreciated

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
your picture doesn't work. i think it will sound crappy, but that's just my opinion. or do you mean dumping it and then running it right in front of the rear tire ?

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
nevermind, picture works. i'd do it that way. i have no experience with an exhaust on a V6 though.

·
Too close for missles!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes im sorry, I didnt clarify. I want to run it right in front of the rear tire like in the picture

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
i dunno man.. a dumped exhaust on a stock v6 might sound liek ricer dog ass with horse turds sprinkled on top washed down under a steaming stream of goat piss..

G

·
i dunno man.. a dumped exhaust on a stock v6 might sound liek ricer dog ass with horse turds sprinkled on top washed down under a steaming stream of goat piss..
I have to totally agree with this. Sorry Dude, but there is absolutely no type of exhaust system you can put on a V6 that is going to give you that 'grumble' sound.

Speaking from past years of experience and once owning a muffler shop, you can not make a V6 sound like a V8. Regardless of the muffler you use, the length or size of the tail pipe or where you dump the tail pipe, when the engine hits 2500-3000 rpms, you are going to get the high pitched type of 'ricer' sound and there's nothing you can do about it. Just the nature of the beast. The factory puts a hugh, restrictive, full of baffles muffler on it for a reason and that's to quieten down as much as possible.

The homemade roll steel muffler I have on my V6 sounds great at idle, but has the 'pissed off bumblebee' type of sound at the 2500-3000 rpm range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmGvJEns6Vo

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
First thing, it is rumble, not grumble! A six will never sound like a v-8 any time you try. For one, V-6's and below have a higher rpm for power. The best sound and hidden is along frame rail and dumped before the rear axle, bodylift or not reguardless of motor.

G

·
As long as you pipe it out from under the truck whether it's in front of or behind the wheel, you'll have less noise inside the cab. Dump it at the rear axle and you'll defintely have a headache.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
As long as you pipe it out from under the truck whether it's in front of or behind the wheel, you'll have less noise inside the cab. Dump it at the rear axle and you'll defintely have a headache.
I'm buzzed and your not making any sence! As long as it is not dumped before the end of cab, you will be ok. If it exits anywhere outside of the truck body, you will not hear it much in the cab at all! Simple sound waves. If it is dumped under cab, it would be abnoxiously loud and drone beyond belief. Sure you get a little bit more drone and sound in cab with it dumped before axle under bed, but is not that bad.

G

·
I'm buzzed and your not making any sence! As long as it is not dumped before the end of cab, you will be ok. If it exits anywhere outside of the truck body, you will not hear it much in the cab at all! Simple sound waves. If it is dumped under cab, it would be abnoxiously loud and drone beyond belief. Sure you get a little bit more drone and sound in cab with it dumped before axle under bed, but is not that bad.
I :bow: to the expert!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have a three inch y pipe/cat going to a 2.5 inch magnaflow muffler with a stock tailpipe, I can say that it sounds about as good as your gonna sound coming from a V6.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
He's not really talking about "dumping" the exhaust. I think that has everyone confused. He wants it to exit out the side of the truck in front of the tire.

For the OP, a "dumped" exhaust doesn't have visible tips and is usually just pointed at the ground underneath the truck. If you want it to exit in front of the tires and you are running a body lift, then that actually makes it easier to go up and over the frame like the Spintech kit and then you don't have to worry about any gap due to the frame being lower than the body. And as others have said, there is no way to make the Magnum V6 sound good at higher RPMs. Now my Charger with the 3.5LHO surprisingly doesn't get the ricer buzz like other V6s I have heard, but it's still no V8 grumble.

And my exhasut is dumped just behind the rear axle, has little drone in the cab since the "tip" is angled down and to the side instead of just down.

·
Too close for missles!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize for the confusion, I know for a fact that I will never get the sound of a V8. pure and simple. Im just looking for the best I can get out of a 6 banger.

and I guess the word "dumping" wasnt the best choice. I am still looking at havign a muffler, and tips, and having it exit in front of the rear tire, but still out towards the side of the truck, like in the picture.

hskr, did you say something about just routing it over the frame? is there actually enough room to do that? that wouldnt be a bad idea at all

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
I apologize for the confusion, I know for a fact that I will never get the sound of a V8. pure and simple. Im just looking for the best I can get out of a 6 banger.

and I guess the word "dumping" wasnt the best choice. I am still looking at havign a muffler, and tips, and having it exit in front of the rear tire, but still out towards the side of the truck, like in the picture.

hskr, did you say something about just routing it over the frame? is there actually enough room to do that? that wouldnt be a bad idea at all
There is plenty of room to go over the frame, especially if you put on a body lift like you were talking about. Spintech makes a 3" system that goes over the frame.

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
jba headers, jba ypipe, 3inch in/out flowmaster with turndown in front of axle

i'll get a video of mine tomorrow, i have since then changed over to the spintech 3inch system, exiting out the side. The pipes go up over the framerail and come down and out the side

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Sorry, I didn't really read the entire thread. I was tired as hell and just checking my PM's and happened to see the thread, and noticed Dumped and exhaust, and then saw the pic.. No big deal.You don't need to be a dickhead about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts