Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right folks, I have searched the archives and haven't really found anything but maybe I over looked something.

I have a 02 Durango R/T and would like to run a duals out the rear using either a SI/SO muffler with a "Y" or SI/DO. I want good sound w/o too much resonation since it is the wife’s. The stock system resonates pretty good as is, not as much as my 5" straight pipe on my truck, but enough that she notices.

I have been looking at systems for the Dakota thinking I could easily modify it to fit the Durango. I noticed most if not all systems are 2.5". Is there a reason why not to go with 3"? I know on my current Ram when I went from the factory 3" to a 4" system the sound got deeper and when I stepped up to 5" it deepened it more. I have also heard trucks running dual 5" with a "Y" and they are not as loud as a single 5". I thought I may get the same affect going from single 2-1/2" to dual 3".

I had thought about piecing a system together from summit racing since they sell the parts separate such as the 3" tail pipes. The question is, is the tail pipe straight or at angle. If straight I could buy two and weld pipe to connect them into a "Y". Then what muffler? I had originally though of the Dynomax bullet but I see more people disappointed then pleased. The next though was the Dynomax Ultra Flow but I would like to hear other opinions on MBRP and Magnaflow.

Let me know your thoughts! And let me know if anyone has tried this before so I don't waste time. BTW all I care about is good sound and looks and I know dual 3" is overkill for performance.

I like my Mopars and I like to play, for more info you can go to my website - http://www.geocities.com/robertballard_22655/Rampage.html

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
have you checked out http://www.gsmotorsports.com they have a true dual set-up for durango's :biggthump I went with a 40 series FM SI/DO from my local muffler shop. love the sound. not to mention I saved a few pennies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the first place I looked. Very nice setup, unfortunately it's beyond my budget. I was looking at catback kits ranging from $250-$350. If I piece the system together from summit (3" dual outlet) I am looking at about $300-$350, depending on the muffler.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
exhaust clip i would suggest your local muffler shop or meineke. that should only run you $250-$300. that's what I paid for mine. muffler, install and tips. :biggthump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts