Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Loser
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive never done any suspension work, so im going into this project blind. im installing Coils and blocks. how hard is this job going to be? need any special tools? (spring compressors?) any snags that i should look out for? i dont suppose anyone has done a write up on how to do this?

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
blocks are super duper easy.. raise up the back of the truck with jack stands and let the axle down all the way. then undo the u bolts, remove those, jack up the axle, put the blocks in place on th leafs, lower th axle back onto the blocks and bolt down with new longer ubolts.. shouldnt take very long at all

as for coils, theres a little more to it than jacking up and undoing some bolts lol. use the search on here as i dont fully remember how to go about it

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
for the coils, your going to need to jack the truck up and put it on jackstands. then unbolt the shocks, sway bar end link, tie rod end and put the jack under the control arm. raise the jack so that it just touches the control arm. then unbolt the upper ball joint from the spindle and lower the jack. once you lower the jack, push the spindle and lower control arm down and pull out the spring. then replace your other spring. make sure that you line up your spring with the spring isolator (the little rubber cap on top). i used electrical tape to hold it in place on the spring while i installed the new one. then install the spring and use the jack to raise the control arm up. be very carefull that the jack posistioned in a secure place. raise the control arm up enough the reconnect the upper ball joint to the spindle. then install the sway bar end link. i might have missed something, but i think that covers it.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
for the coils, your going to need to jack the truck up and put it on jackstands. then unbolt the shocks, sway bar end link, and put the jack under the control arm. raise the jack so that it just touches the control arm. then unbolt the upper ball joint from the spindle and lower the jack. once you lower the jack, push the spindle and lower control arm down and pull out the spring. then replace your other spring. make sure that you line up your spring with the spring isolator (the little rubber cap on top). i used electrical tape to hold it in place on the spring while i installed the new one. then install the spring and use the jack to raise the control arm up. be very carefull that the jack posistioned in a secure place. raise the control arm up enough the reconnect the upper ball joint to the spindle. then install the sway bar end link. i might have missed something, but i think that covers it.
beware: easier said then done. lol.. u gotta use brute force to knock the ball joint out so that the spindle comes free, but after that its pretty straight forward like mentioned above

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
beware: easier said then done. lol.. u gotta use brute force to knock the ball joint out so that the spindle comes free, but after that its pretty straight forward like mentioned above
you can also get a taper breaker, works VERY well but unsure about the price

just dont DONT use a pickle fork if you plan on keeping the ball joints, seeing that it will rip the boots on the ball joints and thats not good if your keeping them

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
you can also get a taper breaker, works VERY well but unsure about the price

just dont DONT use a pickle fork if you plan on keeping the ball joints, seeing that it will rip the boots on the ball joints and thats not good if your keeping them
i just use a big hammer and hit the spindle to loosen the ball joint. you just have to hit it in the right spot.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Why are we messing with the upper control arm to put in drop coils? They go right in, they are smaller than stock. It's easier to take off the lower if anything since most of it needs to be done anyway.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Why are we messing with the upper control arm to put in drop coils? They go right in, they are smaller than stock. It's easier to take off the lower if anything since most of it needs to be done anyway.
i dont take the control arm off, i just unbolt the upper ball joint. you could unbolt the lower ball joint if you want, it really doesnt matter. this is the way i do it and it works fine.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I can install up to 3" lift coils with no spring compressor so that is out of the question, simply slip it in. Like mentioned, you don't touch the uppers at all, just lower. It is best to use a puller on the ball joint, but good luck finding one. I made my own, that will be the only issue if any.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
i dont take the control arm off, i just unbolt the upper ball joint. you could unbolt the lower ball joint if you want, it really doesnt matter. this is the way i do it and it works fine.
Believe it or not, there are still alot out there with stock rivet joints!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Believe it or not, there are still alot out there with stock rivet joints!
it doesnt matter!!! all your doing is taking off the bolt from the ball joint that goes through the spindle. nothing to do with the rivets!

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Doing the upper causes the spindle to be more in the way to work!

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
blocks u have to be careful of the u-bolts breaking.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
If you need a hand man, let me know. i can help ya drop it, and if you want you could come to my place i have all the tools you might need.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
first off, go to dj wolf's lol.

second, ur not removing the ball joint completely, just takin th nut off and knocking th spindle free so the control arm can move enough to pull th coil out.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
If you use a ball joint seperator, forget it! Buy new joints!

·
Loser
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so thanks for all your help guys, everything went smooth and im now HALF lower. stylintrucks sent me the wrong U-bolts!!!!! so i cant do my rear yet. it has a nice rake to it now lol. but anyway, anyone know what size u bolts i need? also can i get them anywhere or do i need to order them online?

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
What size blocks? there is a member on here that works for that company and can probably get you the right bolts. Sometimes local shops sell them but it depends on the length you need. I would just measure the stock length and add the height of the blocks you will be using and check local if you don't want to wait for a online order.

·
Loser
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What size blocks? there is a member on here that works for that company and can probably get you the right bolts. Sometimes local shops sell them but it depends on the length you need. I would just measure the stock length and add the height of the blocks you will be using and check local if you don't want to wait for a online order.
i need like 10" and 3 inch wide... ive heard that some springs need to "settle" to get to full lowness? is this true?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts