Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know this might sound crazy, but i was looking around and i can get a 440 engine for around 1500 and i could get it and rebuild it from the bottom end up and dropping it in my Durango? Is this impossible? I know it wont be easy, I could be able to do the mechanical stuff it would just be the electrical things that i would be lost at. Any help

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
new tranny custom driveshaft, plus wires for computer to work. oh yea not to mention the block is huge as shit and wont fit without serious modification. if you want the rango out of commission for a while go for it. that would be sick as fuck.

·
Stop Staring
561 Posts
....considering i just looked at a 440 super commando crate engine that costs $13,134.....yeah....id buy the one your looking at...

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,744 Posts
70Cuda383 put a big block in a Gen3 Dakota. It seemed to work ok for him, but he has a pretty high degree of skills.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
it can be done. takes a lot of time though. Not very much room in a gen 3. Putting a Hemi is pushing the limits of space.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new tranny custom driveshaft, plus wires for computer to work. oh yea not to mention the block is huge as shit and wont fit without serious modification. if you want the rango out of commission for a while go for it. that would be sick as fuck.
any idea what kind of wiring would be needed? Like i said, i am capable of doing the fabbing, its just the electrical stuff im not so sure about

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
if you plan on keeping the interior guages and such, then youll have to trace wires and splice in for the motor and have the PCM flashed for the big ass motor. If you are not planning on it, then a stand alone with custom guages will work fine. Just remember everything in these trucks is controlled by a computer.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
I would be careful with that. he claims it still turns, but that doesnt mean no cracks in the walls or something is not fucked up

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
if you had to get a new block, just the block would run a pretty penny. then rebuilt internals are expensive too.

·
Toxic Avenger
1,116 Posts
With no emissions laws what so ever in South Dakota. You can put anything you want in there limited only by your time, money and skill. If Hot Rod magazine and SoCal speed shop can get a 528 Hemi into a 2nd Gen dakota, a 440 will go into your Durango. Mopar Performance used to sell the Hemi swap kit although it was 13k for the kit. I'd say go for it.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,285 Posts
I wouldn't even think about keeping the computer, fuel injection, overdrive trans, etc. Most likely the transfer case and front differential wont care for the torque of a 440 either.
I would look for a complete running engine to start with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't even think about keeping the computer, fuel injection, overdrive trans, etc. Most likely the transfer case and front differential wont care for the torque of a 440 either.
I would look for a complete running engine to start with.
I was hoping to keep my 4x4 system, as this is still my DD and i need it for the winter. Also launches would be better with 4x4 :D

·
Toxic Avenger
1,116 Posts
The NV231 transfer case has a pretty high torque limit. The NV242 is even higher . I wouldn't worry to much about it. The front diff is a whole different story. Gonna have to be careful or switch to SAS.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this will never materialize...
Probably not, but its good to dream right? Also remeber how i said its a crazy thought at the original post?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
I like it but the question is ... Is it ideal for your DD. considering the downtime and other complications.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts