Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at lowering my truck and wanted to know who had the best system. djm, hotchkins, belltech, and what the ride quality is like with any of them?

D

·
0 Posts
I have the Hotchkis and like it a lot but i did'nt buy the shocks that come with the kit so my ride quality is'nt the best.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone have the belltech setup with the nitro drop shocks? and if so what does it ride like?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
The hotchkis suspension is a performance system for your Dakotas, period. It is likely the best suspension you will find for our trucks in improving handling. It does have the side effect of lowering a stock Dakota 2" in the front and 3" in the rear.

If you just want a lowered truck, then DJM or Belltech will work fine. If you want the handling of a sports car in a truck go with the Hotchkis TVS. Oh, and be sure to get the Bilstein shocks that are specifically valved for the Hotchkis TVS.

F

·
0 Posts
02graphitert,

Well, it matters how low you want to go. If you want a nice low stance, I'd go with the DJM 2/3 Drop. Its specifically made for the R/T's. It will give you a full 2" drop in the front and a full 3" in the rear. It comes with 2" Control Arms, Toxic Shocks, and 2" Drop Hangers/1" Blocks. Only bad thing about that kit is you lose most of your turning radius. I'm sure the handling will still be moderately good, but nothing like a Hotchkis Kit. But from what I've heard, that DJM 2/3 kit rides better than the factory ride.

If you are just looking for a small drop and for excellent handling, go with the Hotchkis Kit. The Hotchkis kit only gives you a 1" drop in the front and a 2" in the rear. In the full Hotchkis TVS kit, it comes with 2" drop coils, 3" Leaf Springs, Front Anti-sway bars, and Rear Anti-Sway Bars. To me, the Hotchkis 2/3 drop is low enough and looks perfect...but thats my opinion. But this kit is very expensive - around $700-$800 in a Group Buy excluding the shocks. Shocks aren't needed but are highly recommended because you will suffer ride quality and its not very good on your stock shocks. But if I was going to drop my R/T.....I would go with the Hotchkis Kit. If you don't have enough money now to get it, I'd definatley save up because its worth it

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the kit isn't cheap but, if it's the best i want nothing but the best, so ill have to save some dough. thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the western chassis 2/4 drop on my 01 R/T It rides great and looks great. I got the doetsch tech rear shocks and use stock front shocks. 2'' front control arms and rear hangers and shackels front hanger is adjustable .I have gibson cat back exhaust and after lowering, the driver side tail pipe where it goes over the rear end hit the rear swaybar mount. I had a local muffler shop bend a new pipe and no more problem. two more problems bump stops must be cut down and upper control arm slots for alignment must be elongated by 1/4'' to get back to factory specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts