Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i can get a new mopar 360CI 380HP engine for ~3200, but how much would the rest of the conversion be? (rear end, gears, etc.)?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
cory said:
i can get a new mopar 360CI 380HP engine for ~3200, but how much would the rest of the conversion be? (rear end, gears, etc.)?
I would guess you would have anothor $1k in the axle and tranny alone. Total investment: $5.5k to $6k

you would need:
PCM (MP unit for 96 360 RAM is $359 and I do not know if it will work)
Additional injectors
Exhaust (manifolds or headers)
Throttle body
V8 springs and swaybar

Why not go with a 408?

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with 94 although i think the tranny is going to be a bit more expensive. If your gonna do it, do it all the way and go with a 408. You'll have somethin not many others will ever have. Not to mention its an awesome starting point for some serious power later if you ever get the craving.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you auto or stick? Good built auto is around $750 if OD is good, if it is toast expect $1500......

408....build it for torque or go with a 318 (mag 318's are dirt cheap) with the 4" stoke crank and have yourself a 390 that looks just like a 318. I think that is what I will probably do when my 318 gets tired and it is different. I would a local rep shop do the machine work and do the assembly myself to save on the $. If I was going the "crate" direction I think www.KRCperformance.com would be my choice. Also www.thefastman.com in Little Canada (St Paul) Mn knows his Magnums too. Depending on where I am at will have alot to do with my decision. If I am in Iowa in the future and finances allow it might make a drive up there.

Travis

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Which engine? SC the 3.9 or the 5.2/5.9/6.7 you swap in?

Personally if it was me I would go for the 8 swap first, get it reliable and then have fun! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Again i agree with 94 on this cory. Take the $3k and put that into an 8. A supercharged V6 depending on the setup will pretty much amount to a stock 5.9L or a 4.7L with a cold air intake. If you have your heart set on supercharging your 6, you need to start internally in the motor and work your way out to make the supercharger worth the money. For what its worth in my opinion is to save the extra cash and do an V8 swap out. They are just fun anyway. Search around at the junk/salvage yards as well as the insurance collision lots.... lot of times you can buy the wrecked vehicles off the insurance company for the cost of the paperwork. Keep an eye in the classifieds as well.

·
GenII Owner
441 Posts
There are a few guys with 360 daks on other boards, you might get a hold of them and ask them what is involved. I even think that there is a guy from Chicago area with a 360/380 crate motor in his dak.

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
Well, um, aren't all crate 360s Carbed too? You'll have to convert everything to work with carb or by a FI kit for about 1-2k too wouldn't you?

-Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
there is a multi port injection 360. from mopar but you probably need all the electronics.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
im not going with the 360 because i would have to change out the rear and and transmission too. if this one kid doesnt buy my truck, i will be looking for a 318, otherwise im buying either a 3000gt, eclipse AWD turbo, or an older mr2 turbo.

·
GenII Owner
441 Posts
DaPurpleRT said:
Well, um, aren't all crate 360s Carbed too? You'll have to convert everything to work with carb or by a FI kit for about 1-2k too wouldn't you?

-Ryan
I'm no expert but go TBI with an M1 seems to work for some.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
cory said:
im not going with the 360 because i would have to change out the rear and and transmission too. if this one kid doesnt buy my truck, i will be looking for a 318, otherwise im buying either a 3000gt, eclipse AWD turbo, or an older mr2 turbo.
Not true. The motor will mate to the transmission and you will need a 360 flex plate for it to drive.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
cory said:
Bang for the Buck you can't beat a TSi Talon (GTX Eclipse) Right up till they Crank Walk (about 10K of hard driving with moderate boost) Had one, been there blown that up. Came back to a Dakota. Take it from me, or learn the hard way! Just get Boost on your Kota (well a V8 FIRST)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts