Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a pair of slicks for my truck so I can be more consistent at the track when bracket racing but I now need to get a driveshaft loop because are E.T. Drags. I know that Grapejuice (I believe) makes them every once in awhile but I was wondering if anyone might have one of his used for sale or has used another "one size fits all" loop and it has worked. I have a 4.7 and think my tranny is longer than the 46 re but really don't know. I know moparsz runs one of grapejuices on his 4.7 and his 5.9 sooooo chime in man, lol.

So yeah just looking for some options, so lmk what's up.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
does any vendor sell these anymore?

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
ok. thanks man

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to see if I can find it at my parents house, but I have a GS motorsports ds loop I might be able to sell you. I know I don't have the bolts for it anymore though

Do you have one on the R/T? If you do and you sell the truck I would buy the loop off yah. :D But if the GS motorsports one would work and your willing to sell it I would probably take it off your hands. I'm gonna need it because I really want to use my slicks, lol.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
look up your local scrap yard..no, not the auto salvage places, but the places that buys scrap metal and offers buy backs to the public. every major city has at least 1.

Go in and buy 4 feet or so of steel stock, and make your own. it'll cost you all of about $3.

I bought 5' of 4"x4" steel tubing, 3/16" thick wall. pretty heavy duty stuff. I paid all of $12 for it, and $5 of it was the "cutting fee" because I didn't want a 20' long piece of tubing hanging off the truck on my way home.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
look up your local scrap yard..no, not the auto salvage places, but the places that buys scrap metal and offers buy backs to the public. every major city has at least 1.

Go in and buy 4 feet or so of steel stock, and make your own. it'll cost you all of about $3.

I bought 5' of 4"x4" steel tubing, 3/16" thick wall. pretty heavy duty stuff. I paid all of $12 for it, and $5 of it was the "cutting fee" because I didn't want a 20' long piece of tubing hanging off the truck on my way home.
I have thought about this and wanted to try to make one but I am over at school right now. Maybe when spring break rolls around next month I can try to make one. But I was thinking about how to go about making one and don't know how I would make the nice curve around to encircle the driveshaft. Also have limited experience with welding and would need to brush up on it.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey moparsz you do have one of Grapejuices loops on your 4.7 don't yah? And it fit all good like on the 5.9?

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,277 Posts
Hey moparsz you do have one of Grapejuices loops on your 4.7 don't yah? And it fit all good like on the 5.9?
I have grapejuices on the 4.7 and had the GSM also on the 4.7 and both fit fine. I don't know why I took swithed them though. I just got home from my parents and I got the GSM loop. I'll take some pics tomorrow and send them to you if you want. or send me a PM just to remind me.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
I have thought about this and wanted to try to make one but I am over at school right now. Maybe when spring break rolls around next month I can try to make one. But I was thinking about how to go about making one and don't know how I would make the nice curve around to encircle the driveshaft. Also have limited experience with welding and would need to brush up on it.
no need to weld anything. bend it into a loop, as pretty as you can make it. got access to an OA torch? heat it up and slowly bend it. use bolts to secure it all together and to bolt it to your tranny cross member.

no torch? no problem. find anything solid enough to beat on that has a curve to it, and use that to "cold shape" your steel into a loop.

the loop doesn't have to be 1x1 square tubing! I think the rules only mandate that it's a 3/16" thick strap, which is still small enough that you could do most of the bending over your knee till you get out towards the ends.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no need to weld anything. bend it into a loop, as pretty as you can make it. got access to an OA torch? heat it up and slowly bend it. use bolts to secure it all together and to bolt it to your tranny cross member.

no torch? no problem. find anything solid enough to beat on that has a curve to it, and use that to "cold shape" your steel into a loop.

the loop doesn't have to be 1x1 square tubing! I think the rules only mandate that it's a 3/16" thick strap, which is still small enough that you could do most of the bending over your knee till you get out towards the ends.

You've got me brainstorming right now and I think I could do it if I was back home and had my tools. Also have access to an OA torch back home. I've got a couple other options right now and if one of them works out before I go back home I won't worry about it. But if I'm still looking for one when I get back home I will probably try to make one up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts